Thursday, June 12, 2014

Thursday, June 11th - better late than never?

As predicted, it's been a busy few days. Today I planned to add a new post but just had too much to do. I was talking to Lloyd on the phone this morning at 5:00 (my morning wake up call) and suggested that I might not do a blog this morning, and he reminded me that I did promise my fans on Sunday that there would be a post on Thursday. So for the three or four of you that are out there, here it is!

The special sale at work was a success, I think, if the swarms of people milling about for 3 days is any indication. It was a very busy time for me, both at work and outside as we prepared lunches for the staff for the three days. By all accounts, the meals were a huge success. In fact, the fellow who was from Nova Scotia and coordinating the whole affair, suggest that he would like to come back again, if only for the food!

Here's what the menu looked like:

Monday:
BBQ burgers (homemade) and smoked sausages on a bun, with potato salad and coleslaw followed by chocolate brownies for dessert. (for approximately 36 staff, as we included everyone)

Tuesday: (only 16 this time)
BBQ pulled pork on a bun with carmelized onions, coleslaw and green salad, veggies and dip,  followed by Sticky Date Pudding and Toffee Sauce for dessert.

Wednesday: (again, only 16)
Beef bourguignon, (beef stew cooked in red wine with pearl onions and button mushrooms), mashed potatoes, caesar salad, and a layered pudding and whipped cream dessert affectionately called "Sex in a Pan", which apparently lived up to expectations!

We have very limited equipment to work with at the dealership so we do the best we can with what we have. Now that Lloyd has a truck, we were able to bring in the BBQ to do the burgers outside - a really great treat for everyone.

Everyone seemed very happy with their meals. The coordinator told me that most of the time when he does these events, lunch consists of sitting on a chair in the corner with a piece of pizza and a paper napkin so needless to say, our dealership has totally raised the bar for these events. It's a huge amount of work but in the end, everyone was very happy.

I really have to thank Brenda for coming over on Monday evening and helping out when I really needed it. She has such a knack for knowing just when her assistance is needed.

Needless to say, that pretty much took up our whole week.

One sad note, we lost another chicken to predators. Not sure if it was the dog next door again or perhaps a bald eagle or hawk. We are now down to one rooster and two hens. On Monday evening,  when Brenda was here, the dog was making a fuss so I let him outside, only to hear the hens sounding quite distressed. When I went to investigate, I saw only two hens. Oscar and one of the hens was missing. Sometime later in the evening, as it was starting to get dusk, I saw Oscar walking around in front of the pen. I went out and he was quite happy to go back inside the fence. No sign of the other hen has ever been found. I guess that's life on the farm.



On a happier note, Patti sent some pictures of Meghan from the dance recital. This year she's mastered her own hair and makeup and I must say, she's done a wonderful job. I know they need huge amounts of makeup for the stage as the lights tend to make you look very washed out if you don't. With all that makeup she looks much older than her almost 13 years. Watch out dad! You'll soon be beating the boys away with a stick!!! Fortunately it's only once a year.





No comments:

Post a Comment