Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Wednesday, June 18th - Happy Birthday Sir Paul!

Weather at 5:30 am: 14' with a brilliant pink sky
Expected later: 17' and rain


Sorry, but after following Sir Paul around the world for these last 20 some years, I would be remiss if I didn't mention his 72nd birthday today! Just in case he gets bored and is surfing the net, he may stumble upon my heartfelt good wishes! (YEAH, RIGHT). I took this picture at the concert in NYC with Jana. A very special memory for me.





Leafy potato tops
After all the activity of the conference, then the insulation, and the garden, it's now settled down to a dull roar, I think. Lloyd was very busy this week getting the last of the seeds and plants in the garden. He's done a ton of research and if something doesn't grow,  it certainly won't be for his lack of effort!
Even though it's been a slow start to the season, things are coming up nicely. Perhaps the things that are growing the fastest are the handful of potatoes he put in one corner, just to see how they turned out. I suppose because it IS potatoes, and it IS PEI, there should have been no guessing. They are doing very well.

Now that all the plants are in the ground, it will be interesting to see how they do. So far, so good. We are expecting rain tomorrow so that should give them a good start.

A couple of shots of just a few of the plants at the stage they are at now. We'll check back periodically and see how things are progressing:

Radishes that may soon be ready to go into a salad

Peas climbing up the strings on the trellis



Not sure - cantaloupes perhaps? Just went in today so have some growing to do


Tomatoes that have a long ways to go to fill in that cage!





 Other than getting all those things done around the place, not a lot is going on. It's usually pretty quiet out here and Monday night was no exception. I was putting some stuff away and happened to look out the back door window. There was a very fat robin sitting about 2 feet from the door. He eyed me very carefully but
never moved - even when I went and got the camera and snapped several photos. He even stood his ground when I opened the door to get a better photo. He didn't move until I stepped out onto the concrete and I realized there was another bird right beside the door, and that's who Mr. Robin was squared off against. I'm not sure how long they would have held this stalemate if I hadn't inadvertently interrupted things.
Needless to say, it's pretty quiet when that's the highlight of your evenings entertainment.

Tonight will be a little better. Brenda, her cousin Maureen and I are attending one of the Festival of Small Halls events in Milton. Promises to be a very entertaining evening.








No comments:

Post a Comment