Monday, July 28, 2014

Monday, July 28th - another hot and sticky weekend

Conditions at 5:00 am: 19' and lightly raining
Expected later: 25' that will feel more like 33' and sun with chance of a thunderstorm later

It was a warm weekend, again and we enjoyed every  minute of it. I had to work on Saturday so I planned to take my motorcycle to work and Brenda was going to meet me at 2:00 to go for a little ride. Unfortunately things didn't quite go as planned. My poor little bike stalled at the corner and I couldn't get it going again. I thought perhaps the run down the hill might get it started, but unfortunately, that was not to be. When I got to the bottom of the hill, at the bridge, it was still not running, but now there was gas leaking profusely from underneath somewhere. Great! So I turned and started walking back up the hill, as I still had to get to work. Luckily for my, our neighbour who lives at the corner and has the strawberry farm, drove by just as I was about 3/4 of the way up the hill. He stopped and gave me a lift home. So a big thanks to Alan. Next it was hurry and get ready and into town. I still had time to meet Lloyd for a quick coffee at Tim's before he came home to sleep. When I got home from work, we took the truck, a can of gas and the booster cables down to the river and Lloyd was able to get it going, and back home. Now it's sitting in the garage in several pieces as he tries to assess the problem and get it fixed. I have no doubt that will be the case.

Not too long after getting that done, it was time to head over to the Rec Centre. There was a wedding on Saturday night and I had asked Lloyd if he might come over and help with this. We were afraid we might be short of men to carry the trays. So he did and we were grateful for the help. We had the meal out and served to 130 people in 15 minutes! Not bad for a bunch of amateurs.   By the time we finished cleaning up it was 10:00 so that was pretty much it for Saturday.

Sunday morning Brenda came over bright and early so we could prep the vegetables needed for the mussels for the church picnic, later in the afternoon. We were done in no time then and she was off, as she had a family function to attend over in Argyle Shore. She was going to meet up with us later in the afternoon. In the meantime, Lloyd set about blocking some of the wood while I split it. Then he had to go into town so I continued splitting what was there, at least the smaller ones. Some are quite huge and I have trouble getting them up onto the splitter. I saved those for Lloyd!

The BBQ was once again a success. It was held at the Rec Centre and we estimate that there were approximately 120 or so people there. Mussels, burger and hot dogs,
strawberries and ice cream to finish it off. A great way to spend a sunny Sunday afternoon.

And finally, I was deeply saddened to learn on Saturday that my dear friend, Doug Devon, from BC, has passed away. He'd been battling cancer and lost the fight. As sad as it makes me to lose him, I know it was terminal and there was nothing further they could do. He was in an intense amount of pain and that was
terrible to see. I'm glad that part is over for him.  We'd been good friends for approximately 35 years and in so many ways, Doug was like the brother I never had. He's seen me at my worst and shared my best. We went through a lot of changes in both our lives and were always there for each other. In spite of distance and time differences we were never more than a phone call away from each other, if needed. And we both knew that. Both of our spouses just had to accept that we were best friends. So much so, that he gave me away when Lloyd and I got married 25 years ago, and I was best man at his wedding to Patti 23 years ago. In fact, he and Patti were living together, and he had bought a ring for her, but would not propose  until I met her and gave him my blessing, which of course I was happy to do. I have many very fond memories of times spent together that I will always treasure. I am blessed to have had a few days with him back in the spring. I think we both knew it was goodbye, when I left, though neither of us acknowledged that fact. He is now gone to a better place and I will miss him deeply. Rest in peace, my friend and save me a place at the bar!

No comments:

Post a Comment