Friday, December 26, 2014

Friday, December 26th - Happy Boxing Day!

Conditions at 7:00 am: 4'
Expected later: sun but moving down to 2' - quite a change from the 14' we experienced on Christmas Day. We did receive some rain but I don't think it was anywhere near what they had predicted.

The worst of the rain, for us, came in Charlottetown just as we were picking everyone up at the airport. It was barely raining when we left home at 4:45 but by the time we got to town it was really pouring. Everyone was soaked by the time we got in to vehicles. Poor Greg was near drowned, waiting for the skychecked bags! We were fortunate  everybody was able to make the same flight - you just never are sure when it's standby. But the odds were in our favour being  it was the actual day.

As everyone dried out or put on drier clothes, we put some appetizers in the oven and pulled out the cheese and veggie trays I had put together earlier in the day. As we nibbled, we opened presents. Lloyd and I were extremely spoiled with a huge basket of goodies that Patti has put together during her travels over the past few months - cheeses, pates, exotic mustards, wines and champaign from France, Geneva, and various other spots that are on my bucket list, that she's flown to over the last little while. Needless to say we look forward to sampling over the next little while.

Everyone was very happy with their gifts, and the look on James face when he opened up the ceremonial dagger for his kilt kit, was priceless. He loved it, and a while later, I was out in the kitchen and he came out and gave me another big hug and another thank you, Grandma. I have to enjoy these moments, as soon it won't be cool to do that, but I hope that's not for a very long time. The younger two were pleased with their robes I had made for them, as well as various other little things. Everyone did very well. Lloyd was happy with his gifts and really liked the warm sweater I got him last week at Roots. I also got him a small binding machine for putting together documents and he said he was wondering the other day how much they cost, so timing was great on that one. I'm getting a remote starter for my car but I also received an electric throw to put over me when I'm watching TV cause I always seem to be cold, no matter how warm the room might be. The man knows me too well!

It had been a busy day so it was off to bed fairly early for some of us - me at least. No idea how late it was for the others but they can sleep in this morning as there's nothing going on for the rest of the day - just our turkey dinner later but that's about it.

I would be remiss if I didn't thank the Van Gaals for a lovely time on Christmas Eve. We were treated to delicious homemade lasagna, salad and sweet treats. Three out of four of the kids were home, but we did talk to Caitlin on her phone via facetime. The Baird family was there, along with their little grandson Austin. It was a lot of fun having a small child there, it really made it enjoyable as little kids really do add something to all the Christmas excitement, even though he's a little too young to fully appreciate it all yet.  Just wait till next year!

Happy Boxing Day everyone, hope you all had a great Christmas and enjoy the upcoming weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment