Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Wednesday, December 10th - it was a festive sight

Conditions at 5:30 am: 3' heading for a high of 6' later with LOTS of rain - maybe up to 60 to 100 mm with high winds up to 90 km/hr

Brenda and Bernie were coming home from New Brunswick on Monday afternoon and had to pick up her school bus. Fortunately I'd seen in the paper that morning that it was the Christmas open house at Fanningbank, the Lieutenant Governors residence in downtown Charlottetown. The timing worked perfectly with me picking her up at her bus when I was done work, so we could drive over together. I was surprised to learn that she'd never been inside. And even more surprised (although I shouldn't have been) that she had a much more personal connection. Turns out she drives the esteemed resident's granddaughter to school every day. So after being introduced, she had something personal to add to the greeting. 

The house is impressive on the outside and even more so inside, especially all decked out for the holidays. I took some photos with my phone but they certainly don't begin to display it's beauty.



Just inside the front door, where you are greeted with a massive double staircase, to the left is a beautifully appointed sitting room, with huge trees on either side of the working fireplaces.


It seems that every horizontal surface was treated to holiday decorations.


What I wouldn't give to have a dining room like this for the holidays!




The large tree in the dining room was decorated with dried orange slices.


Something we found interesting on a sign inside the residence:



Could this explain the origin of 'Fort Augustus?'




Last night I did some laundry and baked  some cookies I just had to try.They were a spritz cookie but what makes these different is the addition of Pomegranate Molasses, which I just happened to have in my fridge. They also contain a bit of grated orange zest and they turned out quite well, I think, but I'll have to get Lloyd's opinion They're a pretty red in colour but have a tart flavour to them rather than the usual sweet we associate with Christmas cookies. I'll be making these again. 



No comments:

Post a Comment