Friday, January 9, 2015

Friday, January 9th - the deep freeze ends today, for now at least

Conditions at 5:30 am: -16 feeling more like -23
Expected later: snow, turning to rain, then back to snow and a high of 2'

Yesterday was yet another one of those beautiful sunny days but the temperature was -19' and the wind chill made it feel more like -29' BRRRRRRRRR

It's that after Christmas thing where not a lot is going on so there's not much to report on. I'm just trying to keep warm, both at home and at work.  I've started a new craft project - actually something Lloyd needs for his garage. He needs to put something along the top edge of the garage door as he gets a little draft up there. For now he has rags stuffed into the top but it's a bit of a nuisance when he needs to open the big door, which fortunately, isn't very often. When he does he has to pull all the rags out, then stuff them back in when he's done. So a while ago he asked if I could perhaps sew some sort of long, stuffed draft stopper to fit along the top of the door, 12 feet in length. I said I could but it hasn't gotten done yet. Then an aha moment struck after Christmas.

I was showing granddaughter Meghan some ideas I'd come across using T shirt yarn - yarn you can actually knit, crochet, weave, whatever, made from old T shirts cut into strips. If you cut the shirt a certain way, into thin strips, then pull the strips, they roll around themselves and make a yarn like round product and one shirt will yield a large ball of knitting material. When the kids were here, I sent Patti and Meghan over to Michael's to pick up some kids craft tools I saw on sale on boxing day. It's called a Knit Quick Loom and it's essentially a larger version of the corking spools we used when we were kids. If you have to ask what that is, you're either too young or I'm too old!

So I got one of the set of four out the other day and gave it a try. The smallest one makes a tube approximately 4 inches in diameter. I just have to make it 12 feet long, sew one end, then stuff it with fiberfill and sew the other end - instant draft control in one big piece. So far I have about a foot done, so eleven more evenings should do it. I worked on it last night while I watched one of the numerous movies I have on my Netflix list so I'm actually accomplishing two things at the same time!


We're thinking of doing some sort of class in community school next year using T shirt yarn - it's free, as you use old discarded T shirts and it's pretty easy - the perfect community school project. I can see maybe making knitted bags and such with the larger looms, so my task over the next few months is to explore the possibilities. Besides being cheap and easy, it's also green - a win on all counts!

No comments:

Post a Comment