Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Wednesday, January 28th - it was like a mini vacatio... almost!

Conditions at 6:00 am: -4 feeling more like -10
Expected later: -2 with flurries most of the day

What a day it was yesterday. The anxiously awaited blizzard took it's time getting here, but once it did, it was with a vengeance.  I awoke to howling winds at 5:00 yesterday morning and hoped so much to look outside and see a pile of snow. Such was not the case. There was not a flake on the ground. So of course there was no choice but to head into work, despite the fact that all schools across the island were closed and the list of businesses on the island not opening was growing by the minute. But the drive in was uneventful and a few flurries started just as I got to work at 7:30.  It very quickly turned into blizzard conditions and by 9:30 the decision was made to send everyone home. Good thing as the RCMP were advising everyone to stay off the road. The trip home was a little tricky and slow but I made it safely.  Lloyd was sleeping when I got home so I settled in front of the fireplace with a blanket, a coffee, a slice of  toast and some Netflix.  

And that was pretty much my day. The wind was howling outside but we were snug and warm inside and
everyone was where they needed to be. I had called the VanGaals when I left town just so someone knew I was on the road, then reported in when I got home. It was like a mini vacation in the middle of the week. We watched TV and/or read until supper. Then after supper it was read a book and then a hot bath before bed. 

I'm not sure how much snow we actually received because some spots in our yard have deep drifts and other spots have no snow at all. It does tend to get quite windy out here on the hill.  I heard this morning on the radio that the Boston and Cape Cod area received 60 to 75 cms. Glad our trip to the Cape is in the spring.

Lloyd walked to the end of the lane around 7:00 last night and it was not a pretty sight. The snow at the end was quite deep and the drifts in both directions on the road were well over three feet high. Needless to say, he didn't go to work last night. We didn't see a plow all day and I'm not sure it's been down our road as yet. They've just announced there is no school again today as we are facing freezing rain and the roads are a mess. Being as our road doesn't really go anywhere it's not a high priority, especially with no need for buses to get through. I'll wait till Lloyd gets up and let him make the trek to the end of the lane. I suspect I won't be going anywhere anytime soon. We'll see what daylight brings.

Enjoy your day, Brenda!

No comments:

Post a Comment