Monday, January 19, 2015

Monday, January 19th - a quiet winter weekend

Conditions at 5:15 am: 4'
Expected later temperatures remaining around the same and some showers this afternoon

First my apologies to the handful of folks who visit here regularly - due to technical difficulties I was unable to access the internet here at home on Friday morning. I thought about posting something when I got to work but as I really had nothing to report, I let it go. Hence the follow up calls during the day, just to make sure I was okay.  Gosh, this works better than Lifeline!  But thanks for those who were concerned who advised that even if I have nothing to say, I need to say I have nothing to say! Got it.

Well, in the absence of anything meaningful happening on Thursday, I'm pleased to report that Friday turned into Pizza night. I picked up the pies on my way home, and as usual, we all convened at the VanGaals. We hadn't had pizza together since before Christmas so now we were officially back into our usual routine.

Saturday morning dawned bitterly cold. It had been quite mild on Friday but turned very cold overnight. The draft stopper that I had made for Lloyd's garage was apparently slightly too short once it had stuffing inside. So I used that as an excuse to stay inside all Saturday morning. It was much too cold to be out so I parked myself in front of the TV and knitted while he slept. I was able to complete said project before it was time to wake him up to get ready to head into town.

It was suggested on Friday evening that perhaps we should attend the Saturday afternoon blues jam at The Factory restaurant. We used to go from time to time when it was held at another location, but since it moved, we haven't been. After a quick shower, Lloyd was ready and the two of us picked up Brenda on our way into town. Bernie thought about going, but instead headed back out into the woods to work some more on a project he had underway. A great time was had by all. Brenda had eaten lunch with the boys so wasn't hungry but Lloyd and I hadn't so we split a burger and baked potato - fewer calories that way! But the beer made up for it in our daily calorie count.

Sunday morning was still cold but promised to warm up considerably as the day went by. Because I hadn't done anything around the house on Saturday, I paid for it on Sunday. I got laundry gathered together and while that was washing and drying, I spent my time vacuuming and mopping through the house. I was outside in the garage for a few minutes as well, and as a result I missed Brenda's phone call inviting me to go skiing in the woods by her place. That's really too bad because it turned out not to be too bad a day. By the time I got her message, she was already gone. She did call to report that she's made a trail through the woods for next time so hopefully rain today won't destroy her efforts.

When we were having lunch we were discussing what to have for supper.(it's always about the food!)  I had some enoki mushrooms in the fridge that we picked up last weekend in town and I wanted to do something with those. Then we got into Asian ideas and as a result I spent the better part of the afternoon making fresh spring rolls and sushi with some salmon we had picked up on Saturday on our way home from town. I sourced out a recipe for Spicy Salmon Rolls and also made an Asian inspired soup. We ended up with five courses - pork dumplings, followed by the soup, then spring rolls and finally the sushi. I had a fresh pineapple it the fridge as well that I cut up for dessert. Everything turned out quite well and we really enjoyed our meal.

The rest of the evening was spent watching some Netflix and reading. A very relaxing end to a quiet but somewhat productive winter weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment