Friday, June 28, 2013

Friday, June 28th - it's been a crazy mixed up week but it's all good now - James arrives today!

It's currently a chilly 11' at 5:00 am and we're only going to reach 16' later with maybe a lot of rain later on, although it's not raining right now. What a change from the hot and sticky weather we had on Monday and Tuesday.

Let me catch you up a little bit with what's been going on out here.
I worked last Saturday morning and it was a beautiful day. Part way through the morning, Mike and Willow came in to visit with their new baby, Lily. She pretty much slept most of the time so I didn't really get to see her with her eyes open but I  can tell she looks a lot like her mom. I did get  a couple of pictures and one I thought was very cute as she looked deep in thought (and I'm sure she was thinking I wish these people would stop fussing and let me sleep!)



It was lovely to meet her for the first time and I look forward to seeing her again.

When I was done work,  Lloyd met me and we went up to the Rustico area. The gal I had met online through this blog is on the island with her husband working on their cottage. It was such a pleasure to meet them and we had a lovely afternoon sitting on their porch. Their house is absolutely lovely in spite of the fact they are still working on it. We had hoped to have them over for a meal but they have lots to do and a short period of time to finish it all. We also had a crazy busy week coming up so we all agreed that their turn to visit us will be in September when they come back. The weather was pretty hot during the first part of the week for them to be working in but now that it's cooled down it's good for inside jobs and the rain will help their grass grow so hopefully it's a good thing. I was so reminded of all the times Lloyd would come down for a visit and I would have a lengthy list of jobs I needed him to finish before he left. It was always a bit of a race to try to accomplish as much as possible until the next visit.

After we left their house we stopped in for a short visit with our friends Charles and Laura. I hadn't been to their new place yet and they have been really busy. They have planted lots and have a few new additions to their family - sheep, chickens and turkeys.

On our way home we stopped at two grocery stores and picked up the supplies we needed to feed the sales crew on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. It turned out to be a pretty busy few days. We spent the entire day on Sunday in the kitchen together and it was really very enjoyable for both of us. We did as much as we could ahead because there wasn't going to be a lot of time during the week. Monday's menu was soup and build your own sandwich along with a veggie tray and butter tarts for dessert - all home made of course. Day one went very well. Day two was chili and cornbread although the cornbread didn't get eaten as much (that's okay, I happen to really like cornbread so don't mind the left overs). Dessert was our mandarin orange cake that they've all had before and really like. Day three was the much anticipated BBQ pulled pork on a bun. That's all they talked about earlier in the week - can't wait for Wednesday. Needless to say it was a hit. By all accounts the lunches were a total success. I have to give all the credit to Lloyd. He made the chili and the pulled pork, delivered everything, set it all up and served it and then put it all away again. We were glad it was only three lunches. It definitely would have been easier if I had been able to help but we did the best we could with the situation. I think they were pleased.

Tuesday was our 24th wedding anniversary (can you believe it???) and I was thrilled to receive a beautiful 2 dozen roses. Later that evening I suggested that it was a lot of money to spend and I bet we could have gotten a box of siding for what the roses cost. He agreed I might be right but that he would look pretty silly walking into the dealership with a package of siding, handing it to me and saying "Here, happy anniversary!"  Really? I would have been quite fine with that, but the roses are beautiful so thank you very much.



Brenda leaves this afternoon for her trip out west with the girls. She's pretty excited and I know the three of them will have a great time. She had to bring her bus into town yesterday so I met her at lunch and she took my car to run a few errands. She picked me up at 5:00 and well, it was supper time and we were both in town, so what else could we do but go and have something to eat. We had a lovely supper and a beer before heading back out to the country. She'll be gone for at least 10 days and will have lots to tell us when she gets back.

I checked out the garden last night and I actually have some seeds that are growing. It's very gratifying to see those neat rows of tiny seedlings poking their little heads out of the ground. Progress is being made and the rain makes it easier. Now we just need a bit of sunshine to really make them sprout up.

James arrives at lunch time this afternoon (hopefully) and we have a busy few says ahead of us. College of Piping tonight, Hedley tomorrow and it's not looking like the weather will be any too cooperative but hopefully it will be better than they are predicting. Not sure if we'll get to sleep in the tent or not but hopefully we will.

Check back with you on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment