Monday, June 17, 2013

Monday, June 17th - a not so chaotic weekend come and gone

It's currently 12' and overcast but there are patches of sun breaking through the clouds over the river this morning. We're supposed to have scattered showers and cloud for most of the day but we'll see. Our high should reach 19' later.

Before I forget, a big belated Happy Birthday to Meghan (1) who celebrated over the weekend. I'd slept in on Friday and didn't check my birthday calendar while doing the blog because I was rushed for time - that'll teach me!  I understand there were some festivities in Toronto to mark the occasion and a good time was had by all.

It was an activity filled weekend but not crazy busy like some have been lately. Bernie left on a bike trip on Friday so Brenda was on her own all weekend. She came over early on Saturday morning and in spite of some coolish temperatures we sat out on the balcony and had our coffee and muffins in the sunshine.

From there I headed to work and she ran errands.  When I got home from work Lloyd wasn't home but the first thing I spotted was my vegetable garden  had been tilled. Our neighbour  who lives just down at the corner had come over and done it for us. Now the work begins!

We had a dinner to attend so I didn't get into it right away. Saturday evening was the volunteer dinner at the Rec Centre with our choice of lobster or BBQ steak. Dinner was delicious as usual and followed by trivia. Our team didn't win but we did pretty well.

Sunday morning dawned chilly but sunny with the promise of being nice all day. I was up early and had my coffee outside and a little while later Lloyd joined me.  After coming inside I made some breakfast for us before heading out to tackle the garden.

Hopefully it will have plants by the end of the week

 I'm terribly out of shape and I only got through half of it, removing the clumps of grass and the rocks, and smoothing it out, before I had a decent blister on each hand. Not to mention my back was also complaining quite a bit. So I decided it was time to give it a rest. While I was working on the garden, Lloyd was working on my bike. The poor little thing really needed some attention. Last year I had dropped it - twice - in the lane and the assembly around the headlight was broken badly as well as the windshield. I'd gotten the headlight piece fixed at a local body shop and Lloyd had picked up a new windshield on one of his trips to Ontario.

The unfinished garage is still a great place to work 


By the time it was all put back together we were sitting outside having a cold drink when we heard the unmistakable sound of a Harley approaching. Sure enough, it was Brenda, with impeccable timing.  I quickly got changed and we headed out for my first ride of the season.  We went over to the school and  drove around the parking lot for a while until I felt a little more comfortable. It's always the same each year - you need to break into it gradually. From there we headed out to the Trans Canada to get some gas. I was stopped at a stop sign when this big brightly coloured Harley pulled up beside me and the driver gave me the piece off the side of my bike. Apparently it had fallen off and I never saw it go. Lucky for me he saw it and stopped and retrieved it for me. We got our gas then headed back home as my signal lights weren't working properly so it really wasn't safe to be out on the highway. Lloyd still has some work to do on it!

It was a warmish day but windy and we both felt the chill. When we got back to my place we had tea then Brenda went home to  make dessert. We figured she might as well have supper with us as she was alone. When she returned a while later with the car we had a glass of wine and supper. We marinated a pork tenderloin and Lloyd cooked it perfectly on the BBQ. Some chinese dumplings to start,  a caesar salad, some rice and carrots with the pork followed by a delicious Rhubarb and Blueberry crumble that Brenda made, was a pretty good way to end the day.

All in all not a bad weekend. It was nice to have the weather cooperate for the entire weekend for a change!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Sandy! Looks like you had a good weekend too - you will have a nice size garden by the looks of it!

    ReplyDelete