Monday, June 10, 2013

Monday, June 10th - it's good to be back home after a busy few days

Finally some nice weather - 9' right now at 5:00 am but we should reach a sunny high of 20' by this afternoon. When I got home from Ontario yesterday I was shocked at the number of leaves and branches lying on the ground. Apparently there had been a storm on Saturday with heavy rain and strong winds and it was certainly evident. Guess we were lucky with just cool temperatures and a bit of drizzle in Ontario.

Friday was a cool overcast day but we headed out to the local conservation area. Tristen brought along his best buddy Charles, to go fishing. It was Charles first time fishing and James undertook to teach him  all the tricks. Apparently James is a great teacher because Charles caught the most fish. They were all small ones and had to be put back in the water but they were thrilled when they caught something.
Showing Charles how to cast

Apparently James did a great job of instructing
Taking the fish off  the hook

One of the larger catches of the day

After a picnic lunch and some more fishing, we headed back to town. I got ready right away as I was heading to my old company's annual summer BBQ. Only a couple of people knew I was coming so it was a bit of a surprise when I arrived. Lots of hugs all round and time to catch up with old friends. I stayed as long as I could before I had to leave to meet Patti at the auditorium for the recital.

The boys and I sat with their other grandma at the front and Patti sat up top. I have to say I was totally blown away. I haven't been to a recital in 5 years and it was really amazing. I was very impressed with the progress that Meghan has made in dance and you can tell she is truly in her element when she's up on that stage. She puts absolutely everything she has into each dance when she's performing.  It was a really enjoyable show and kudos to the folks that organize it.

Time for a photo before heading in on Saturday afternoon

Very glamorous with hair and makeup...

...but never too glamorous to laugh

Saturday morning dawned still overcast but not quite so cool. James had to umpire two baseball games so Patti and I took him and dropped him off then headed out to pick up some groceries for supper and to stop and have a bagel and tea at Tim's while we waited for Homesense to open.

The umpire at work

We headed home and got ready to go to the afternoon performance. I got myself ready and took the car back to the ballpark to catch a bit of the second game as Tristen's team was playing. Apparently I committed some uncool maneuvers while I was there. Tristen hit the ball and was standing on first base so I went over to take his picture. Once he got back to the bench after making his way around all the bases, I stopped by to take a picture of the whole team. I was told in no uncertain terms that I shouldn't really be distracting him while he's on the base.

On first base

 A few minute later it was his teams turn out in field. They hadn't yet started to play, and were all getting into position so I went over to take his picture out in the field with his ball glove. He saw me and was quite disturbed and told me "Grandma, get off the field, GET OFF THE FIELD!!!"

Out in field

So I did as I was told and left. I'm assuming it was meant to be for my own safety. How embarrassing would it be for your grandmother to get hit in the head and fall down on the field!!!

From there I stopped and picked up some flowers for Meghan and some tea for James. (that's another whole story for another day). I picked Patti and Meghan up and we headed to the River Run Centre. Patti dropped Meg and I off so I could sign her in to get ready while she went to pick up one of Meghan's friends who was coming to the show. Both Friday and Saturday one of her teachers from school came out to watch so that was very special for her.

Meghan and her friend from school

Saturday's show was just as good although a little longer with the presentations at the end. By the time we got everyone home it was 5:00 and Patti had to leave for work by 7:00. I was planning to make beer can chicken for supper but in hindsight I should have chosen something a little less time consuming to prepare. She barely had time to eat before she had to leave.

After we finished cleaning up the dishes Meghan and I went out to get ice cream that I'd promised her earlier. James and I had gone on Thursday night when she was at the recital so she missed the chance.
It was nice to have a little bit on alone time together.

That was pretty much it for the night. I packed up my stuff and got ready to leave Sunday morning.
When Patti got home from work the next morning James accompanied us to the airport.  I had hoped we might have time to get some breakfast together but such was not our luck. I headed through security and made it just in time. I got the flight and Lloyd picked me up when I got home.

I called Brenda to see if they wanted to come for some soup and salad for supper. She was  driving home as she had just finished a 35 km bicycle tour on the trail. That woman never ceases to amaze me.
They had a function to go to later in the evening so we had an early supper, mostly provided by Brenda. They had all had lobster on Saturday night for supper so Lloyd brought the shells home and made a lobster stock with the. Brenda had sent home some left over lobsters so the meat from those went into the soup (one left for a lobster sandwich today)  as well as some fish, scallops and mussels that we had in the freezer, along with some fresh baked rolls that Brenda had also sent over.  Lloyd did a great job on the soup. My contribution was a coffee cake made with left over apples that needed badly to get used up. So it was an excellent meal using mostly leftover. It was nice to catch up even though I haven't been gone that long but a great way to end the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment