Monday, September 30, 2013

Monday, September 30th - what a glorious weekend!

It's late September and the weather this past weekend was absolutely gorgeous! It was warm and sunny both days and islanders took full advantage.
Saturday I worked in the morning but left a little early to attend the Women's Health and Fitness expo. There were lots of people out and about on the streets enjoying the day. When that ended I popped into the hospital to visit a friend who's there. After spending some time with her, I headed home. Lloyd had also been taking advantage of the fine day to cut the grass. I had thought I would do that when I got home but he beat me to it. He spent part of the day emptying the small shed beside the garage. Our plan is to use that one to store wood. We have a smallish pile outside the door of that one  that will need to be moved before the cold weather hits. Then it will be our main wood storage space. Right now there's a large pile stacked in the garage but that will get used this winter. Although it's hard to think about those things when it's sunny and 23' outside!  It was a quiet evening with nothing much going on, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Then on Sunday it was the same thing again, more sun and warm weather. Lloyd had a few things he wanted to do around the house and Brenda and I headed out to play. First we went into town to visit Farm Day in the City. It's larger this year and the place was packed. Everyone in the city it seems, was there, along with the 600 passengers that were here on a cruise ship. What a nice treat for them to have this event taking place while they're here. It would certainly make their day much more interesting.

After walking around and checking out all the vendors, we headed out to Cavendish Beach. I need pictures from 4 more beaches and now it's down to only 3.

There were a few people there, some even in bathing suits laying in the sun. It was a perfect day to be there. We met a couple who were sitting in chairs by the shore and they were visiting the island from Waterloo, Ontario.

 They had all kinds of questions about what life was like here on the island for someone from away, and of course, I told them it was wonderful. But I may be a little biased in my opinion.  We had a lovely chat with them and then we headed back to town.

 We found this little note in the sand that someone had written earlier in the day. How perfect for our purposes. Too bad the person who wrote it will never know that it will be used later at a national conference!

Brenda and Bernie joined us later for supper. We were BBQing Mary Brown - the first chicken from our little flock to be sampled. And boy, was she delicious. We did the bird on a beer can with a dry rub on the outside and when it was done, it was juicy and delicious. 

We've both been counting calories now for about a week and so far it's going very well. I have to admit I could have eaten twice as much of that juicy bird, but I knew I'd have to account for it so common sense prevailed. 

Before supper, Brenda and I spent a bit of time practicing our dance steps, as our teacher has sent us some music, so that now makes it much easier.
Practice makes perfect, so I'm told. I need LOTS more practice!

No comments:

Post a Comment