Sunday, December 15, 2013

Sunday, December 15th - it's a dark and stormy night...

What a wild weather weekend. I saw a quote the other day on the internet that said something like "this isn't global warming, it's global weirding!" and I'm inclined to agree.  The weather on Friday and Saturday was bitterly cold. The temperatures hovered around the minus 16' or lower point, but the wind chill was minus 31. Brenda and I went to town a little after lunch on Saturday afternoon and it was freezing!!! We had a few errands to run in town but having company made it much easier and a lot more fun.  It kind of took our milds off the fact it was so cold.

Sunday morning dawned much milder, finally. I had a bunch of stuff collected that was going out to the garage and I needed to bring in some wood. Saturday was just too cold for any of that. But early Sunday morning was much more hospitable for outdoor activities.

But right on cue, the snow started falling around 9:20 in the morning. As I write this, it's 5:32 pm on Sunday evening and it hasn't let up one bit. At times it sounds like sleet hitting the windows so I have no idea what's going on out there. The wind picked up after lunch and has been blowing the fluffy stuff all around so I have no idea how much we've really gotten to far.

Lloyd is trying to get home from Ottawa but that's not happening today. He might, if he's really, really lucky, get to Halifax sometime tonight. Granddaughter Meghan will be pleased to learn that he may be spending the night on a bench in the Halifax Airport! - something she's all to familiar with.  The flight to Charlottetown from Halifax has been cancelled so his only hope is to get out in the morning. If he doesn't make the first flight, he may have the option of the shuttle that runs between the two cities. With luck, he'll get back to the island sometime tomorrow.  In all honesty, I'm not disappointed that I don't have to drive into town tonight.



Other than that, not a lot going on. I've been chipping away at sorting out the house and did a bit of baking today as well. One thing I was wanting to make was English Muffins but I was having trouble finding the rings you use for these. But fortunately Brenda and I had a tour through the mall on Saturday and the kitchen store had just what I was looking for - English Muffin Rings! Who knew! So I tried my first batch. They turned out not too badly but I found several variations for recipes that I will try over the next few weeks till I find the one I'm happiest with. All in all, not a bad first effort.

If we're really lucky, we might have a snow day on Monday and I can spend the day out in the craft room putting away all the stuff I carted out there this morning!

Update: it's Monday morning and the radio tells me we are only going to get a few flurries today - perhaps 5 to 10 cms worth. On what planet is 10 cmd of snow a few flurries??? As soon as I get shoveled out the back door, I'll make my way to work. Lloyd didn't get to Halifax after all last night. After finally getting a seat on a plane (first class to boot) they got half way to their destination and then turned back and returned to the Ottawa airport.  I had talked to Patti earlier and she was supposed to fly to Halifax last night as well. She figured they could maybe wait on the same bench! Somehow I doubt if she got there either. Hopefully they cancelled her flight before she got half way there as well.

1 comment:

  1. English muffins look great Sorry I missed them yesterday morning. No snow day sooo disappointed.

    ReplyDelete