Sunday, December 22, 2013

Sunday, December 22nd - special birthday edition - Happy 13th Birthday, James!




A really big Happy Birthday to our oldest grandson, James!  I can't believe he's now a teenager. Won't be much longer till going to visit his 'Old Grandma" will be a chore rather than a treat. I know that's the way the world is supposed to work - they grow up and have lives of their own. That's why this time is so incredibly special to me. I'm looking so forward to having them visit later this week.
Have a high flying birthday, James, wherever you spend it today!

The only other really big news this weekend is, once again, the weather. Looks like we're in for another snow storm - third one in a week! I presume this is what PEI weather was like many years ago. People always speak about how winters used to be.  I took yesterday off work and we spent part of the morning clearing snow. It was piled half way up the door to the craft room so it took a while to clear. But Lloyd got out his trusty little snow blower, and with that and a couple of shovels, the job got done. It was pretty mild yesterday and we were supposed to get freezing rain in the afternoon, but by 8:00 last night, it was still just raining. It knocked down a bit of snow but we still have lots. Now this morning everything is covered in a blanket of new snow.  It's looking like Southern Ontario has taken quite a hit with freezing rain and we may be next. We'll just have to see how it all plays out over the next 24 hours.  He was having some trouble with his tractor but installed some new parts yesterday and now it's running good as new. Just in time to move some more snow around the yard later today.

Oscar surveying his new friends!
So, let me tell you about Oscar! A number of weeks ago, to make a long story short, we acquired a rooster. Now, this rooster has been living alone in what was once the tree house.  I felt so badly for the poor thing being in there all alone when Lloyd was away and we had that incredibly cold weather. But he got through it. Lloyd has been in search of some hens to put out there as well, and we finally have some. Someone on Kijiji had hens for sale. We went out to their farm yesterday and picked up 9. Now Oscar has lots of company.  We know they are older laying hens, but just how many eggs we'll get is still unknown.  I put the following ad, along with a photo of Oscar,  on Kijiji on Friday morning, as a laugh, and was surprised that it got 293 views by Saturday afternoon.

Hello there - my name is Oscar! I am a handsome black rooster seeking female companionship. I live in a lovely spot but find it quite lonely at times. Especially this time of year when the days are so short. I am seeking two or three females, preferably those who are currently laying eggs to keep me company. If you know of any such females for purchase, please give my owners a call. I'd be most grateful!


So I put the following update on it last night. 



Thank you Kijiji - my fondest Christmas wishes have come true and I now have a virtual harem of 9 lovely hens to keep me company on these cold winter nights! 
Now the views are up to 315. ( I never would have thought to look for a date under  the Livestock Section!)

Okay, guess it's time to get dressed and go out and play in the snow some more!

PS - Welcome home Meghan (1)!





No comments:

Post a Comment