Sunday, December 8, 2013

Sunday, December 8th - a day early for THE BIG REVEAL!

Okay, we still have a bit of fine tuning to do, for the most part our space is complete! It's hard to believe we are fully moved into the completed craft space.  Our hope was to get the rest finished this weekend and we did. I was excited to share it with all of you and couldn't wait till Monday morning!



Friday evening was an outing for Brenda and I. A local fire department was hosting a centerpiece making workshop that we decided might be fun. We knew the gals running it so it was an easy place to walk into. They had certainly done their homework. Being on a budget, all materials where natural ones found in yards and woods. We each brought a container to work with and they provided everything else - including wine and cheese! Does it really get any better.
Brenda did hers in a small glass bowl that was lined first with birch bark. A great idea I never would have thought of. We picked up quite a few tips while we were there.  Mine was in a  more rustic container, that has special meaning for me because of the person who gave it to me a long time ago. I was pretty pleased with my creation so I've taken it to work to sit on my desk. That inspired me to spend my Saturday morning at work putting up and decorating the tree. Now it will be very festive when everyone comes to work on Monday morning.

So, I left work on Saturday at noon as it was really quiet and I wanted to get some work done. There was lots of stuff to take out to the garage. I had brought it all down stairs early in the morning, after Lloyd left for the airport at 4:45.  I spent the afternoon moving and sorted and putting all kinds of stuff away. I had suggested to Brenda that if she felt like it, to pop over after supper. She arrived right on time as I was sitting at my desk, actually working - on my Christmas cards! She had brought wine, and cheese and crackers so we snacked rather royally.  We still have a few bugs to work out - little things we hadn't thought of but we'll eventually get everything we need out there.  We worked and chatted and snacked till around 9:30 when we called it a night.

I headed off to bed shortly after as it had been quite a long day. I was awake early on Sunday morning and was anxious to get to the loom - the last large piece of the puzzle. I knew Brenda would be over after church to help so I set about taking it apart. Then I just worked away and before I knew it, I had all the pieces outside and upstairs. I had planned to wait till she got here but I just got carried away in the moment, I guess. It was quite cold and very windy so I guess that inspired me to hurry up and get in out of the cold! So,  I was quite ready for some help when she arrived. It was an easy task to move, not such an easy one to reassemble it. After a couple of oooops, we finally got it together. Our task then was to decide just where to place it and we both liked the same angle. Once that was done, we sat down and pretty much finished up my cards. It's so much quicker when you can hand off jobs to someone else. One more bit to add then I can address them and get them in the mail.

So, without further waiting, here it is!  

1) The scrapbooking desks. This is the area that will likely be used the most. The area in back in the media area. This houses our scrapping supplies (well, come of them) as well as the computer, printer, Cricut, and anything electronic. It's especially nice to have some music on there to listen to. Thanks to Lloyd for installing the speakers before he left for Ontario on Friday! Also thanks to Brenda for picking up the speed frames for our desk drawers.


2) The weaving loom finally has a space to live! The warping board on the floor to the right, is still to be attached to the wall. Notice the spinning wheel motif on the wall? Brenda and I found that a week ago at Value Village when we were waiting for our dance class. A very different piece  you'd really need just the right place to hang.


3)  Our refreshment area. The fridge just fits under the butcher block table. The coffee maker and tea kettle will come in handy (when we run out of wine??).  The fridge is also a great place to store snacks for those necessary breaks from working really hard! Missing from the shelf above the table? The wine glasses and tea cups we used and are waiting to be washed and returned.



4) Sewing / work table. The sewing machine and serger will be moved out there and this large table will be used as a cutting, sewing, whatever needed, table. It's just waiting for some new trim around the edges but that will wait till the new year.


5) The Visiting Crafter's Meghan's craft table. I'm sure when she's here it will be well used. We had 6 plush easter baskets that were just too cute to throw away after the eggs were gone so I kept them. They work well as containers for markers, pencil crayons, etc. Functional and cute!



Over all, I think it's going to be a pretty great place to hang out. Thanks so much to Lloyd as well as Brenda and Bernie, who have also had a hand in it's creation!  It turned out just as I had envisioned.


1 comment:

  1. Looks amazing Sandy - congratulations on getting it all done and set up so well!

    -Meghan

    ReplyDelete