Monday, September 8, 2014

Monday, September 8th - a Fall type of weekend

Conditions at 5:30 am: a crisp clear 10' with a full moon shining up in the sky
Expected later: a sunny 17'

Friday was an absolutely gorgeous summers day. When we get to September we tend to think of fall but in reality it's still summer and Friday was indisputable proof of that.  The temperature was in the high 20's but it felt even warmer. It would have been a great beach day if we didn't have to work for a living!
Friday evening I stayed in town and went over to the Celebration Zone. Performers slated for the night were Sylvia Tyson, followed by the Irish Descendents. Lloyd was planning to perhaps join me but he didn't get much sleep during the day so decided to stay home. Brenda and Bernie were hoping to get there later. I arrived after work, to very small crowds, and no line ups so I bellied up to the bar, ordered some food and a Beach Chair lager. I found a place to sit and pulled out my ipad to continue with the book I've been reading. There was music playing on the stage area as I enjoyed my supper and my book. When I was done, I took my chair and headed out to the stage area as it was getting on towards time for the main events and it was starting to full up. Sylvia came on right on time and I was amazed that her voice still sounds the same as it did all those years ago, quite remarkable considering that she's 74 years old this month. (But then Sir Paul is 72 and he can still belt them out!) The Van Gaals arrived shortly after she started singing. Brenda came and sat with me and Bernie went into the beer tent to try to snag a beverage. There were huge line up there so was little he could do but drink his beer and then come back and join us outside by the stage. The food line was even longer so that wasn't happening.

The Irish Descendents didn't disappoint the huge crowd that had gathered. It was a beautiful night - mild and clear with just a slight breeze blowing the Canadian flag that was waving above the stage. As I sat there listening and watching the flag fluttering, and the crowd enjoying their evening, I was struck with how incredibly lucky we are to live in this place, and in this country, especially when we watch the news and see the horrific conditions and happenings in other parts of the world. We truly are blessed.

The rest of the weekend was pretty quiet,  even somewhat productive. Lloyd had rented a gadget from the hardware store to compress the sand that's spread on the floor in the garage. He picked it up after work on Saturday morning, took it home, used it and then returned it, all before I got home from work. He called me just after lunch to tell me he was now heading off to bed, after working all night and all morning. No problem as I had grass to cut and it was a relatively nice day. So when I got home, I jumped on the lawn mower and did the back piece. By the time that was done, and I had finished prepping supper, he was awake. Needless to say, it was a fairly quiet evening.

Sunday morning I was up early and catching up on a series I'm watching on Netflix. The main character is quite the cook and that inspired me to make a nice meal for our dinner. I took some pork tenderloin out of the freezer the night before so I made a garlic and lemon marinade for it and put it back into the fridge to do it's thing while I helped Lloyd outside. Now that the sand is nice and firm the next step was the plastic. That involved unrolling long strips of plastic, smoothing it in place and then taping all the seams. Finally something I was actually able to help with! Once that was done I went back inside to do a bit of work, in between loads of laundry and 'just one more episode' on Netflix, while he stayed outside to work on something else.

A while later, when Lloyd came inside he was done in, so I suggested a nice hot shower and a nap might be a good idea. Really, what's better on a cool Sunday afternoon.

By the time he got up from his nap, I was working on supper - Pork Souvlaki with Tzatziki sauce, Greek lemon roasted potatoes, Greek rice and a Greek village salad - do you sense a theme here?  Everything went well and it all lived up to my expectations. I'd been craving some souvlaki and we weren't disappointed. The good news is there's left overs for Lloyd's lunch at work later tonight.

All in all, not a bad weekend - some relaxing, some things accomplished - it was  all good!


Happy birthday graphics


Oh, and one final thing. I have to confess my guilt at having overlooked my son-in-law's birthday last week. So Greg, a huge belated Happy Birthday. I didn't really forget, I just wanted my wishes to be special and not get lost with all the others (okay, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!)  Hope it was a great one and there was an ice cream cake with your name on it somewhere!


No comments:

Post a Comment