Friday, October 3, 2014

Friday, October 3rd - a busy weekend ahead

Conditions at 5:30 am:  slightly overcast and 7'
Expected later: some sun this afternoon and a high of 16'  - not too shabby!

If the weather network is serious, we should be enjoying these balmy temperatures throughout next week. Not bad for October. 

Not a lot going on except baking, baking, baking. We have a total of 5 catering jobs to look after, and they're 5 days in a row, right after the long weekend,  SO it's going to take some super organizing to make sure we can pull it all off. We've made the menus and that's a big step out of the way. Now we can concentrate on getting it all done. Some things can be done in advance so we're doing as much as possible before hand. This means baking 150 butter tarts and 150 cupcakes, several apple pies, etc. Lloyd's looking after the meat portions of the meals - Firehouse chilli for 150 one day , and pulled pork sandwiches for 150 the next. That's not even looking at three days of lunches for 16. But if we can do 150, 16 now feels somewhat like a walk in the park.  I'll look after the salads, etc that will be accompanying these dishes. It's going to be a bit of a challenge but I'm looking forward to that. Keep your fingers crossed that it all goes well.

Brenda was over on Wednesday night and helped make cupcakes and butter tarts. 4 dozen down, lots more to go. It goes much faster with help, so a big thanks to her for that. We have a wedding this Saturday evening at the Rec Centre and I'm working on Saturday so that day is pretty much gone, but I'll have Sunday. Then the long weekend I'm off for three days and Lloyd is hoping to fly over to Newfoundland to visit his two sisters. That will give me ample time to get lots done without any interruptions for pesky things like meals, etc. James was thinking about coming down for the long weekend but with Lloyd away, he won't be here to take him fishing or any fun stuff like that, so I've called his mom and cancelled his invitation! Actually I just made it easier for him as there's an event in Ontario that he also wanted to attend, so he was a bit torn about just where to spend his time. Now I've taken the decision out of the mix for him.  I'm sure he'll understand
and be happy he's not disappointing us by not coming to visit. Patti told me last night that he got his bagpipes this week so he's pretty excited about that. He's been practicing out in the garage. They can hear him from outside but not from in the house. Glad I don't live right next door! His mom will have to take a video of him playing to send to me.
I got a brief lesson on the phone on the parts of the instrument, which I knew nothing about so I've done a little research and came across this diagram. Apparently they start out with only one drone, while the other two are blocked, then they are gradually added. I suspect that's maybe why they don't hear it in the house as yet. That may change once all those tubes are unblocked!



No comments:

Post a Comment