Sunday, October 12, 2014

Sunday, October 12th - Happy Thanksgiving everyone!



Conditions at 7:30 Sunday evening: a mild 7' - quite a pleasant evening out there.
Expected on Monday - a sunny 15' and I hope to get outside and enjoy some of it!

It's been a pretty busy couple of days.  I know it's thanksgiving and all, but that's really taken second place to all the jobs still to be finished before Wednesday and our first Toyota lunch. I pretty much have to be totally organized and up to date by the end of the day tomorrow.

Yesterday, (Saturday) both ovens were tied up all day long with 50 pounds or so of brined pork, slowly roasting to juicy goodness. By this morning it was falling off the bone tender, just what we were looking for.  We got smart today and put the remaining pork it in the oven around 6:00 pm because we still have another 50 or 60 pounds to cook, which should be done by morning. So the ovens were free today for me to use.
Lloyd and I shredded and bagged the pork this morning, and then he headed outside to work out there.  Meanwhile, I stayed in and finished baking cupcakes and tarts. I now have 157 cupcakes in the freezer as well at 139 butter tarts. I still have one more dozen tarts to do but I need to make another batch of pastry first. No worries, I have tomorrow. I worked out a few other things that needed to be sorted out, like figuring out just how many cabbages I need to shred and how much coleslaw dressing I need to make,etc, etc. But it's all good, I almost have things under control.

As we head into thanksgiving tomorrow, I know there are so many things we have to be thankful, and I
suppose the one thing I'm really thankful for is an extra day off this weekend!   But, seriously, we are all so very lucky, and have so many things to be grateful for. And not all of them are material things. Last night, we happened to look outside at just the right time and saw the most amazing sunset. I took a photo but it really doesn't do it justice.  It was like the sky was on fire. To live in this place, and to see sights such as this, is truly humbling. 

On the other hand, I am sorry that I didn't have time to do anything for Bernie over the weekend. With Brenda away, I'm sure he would have welcomed a home cooked meal, but I'm not sure the Kraft Dinner we had for supper tonight would have been very welcomed.

I've finally washed up the last of the dishes, again, for the day.  Now I think I'll head off and take a nice hot bath. Lloyd is next door visiting Frank and I have the place to myself. Can't think of a better way to pass the rest of the evening.

Once more day of hectic cooking and then it will be showtime before we know it!  Happy Turkey Day everyone!

PS - a huge shout out and thanks to Joe, in Guelph, for fetching Lloyd's bike and getting it safely home to Patti's garage. I suppose now that's where it will spend the winter - sorry guys, but we really appreciate your being able to retrieve it and store it for the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment