Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Wednesday, October 22nd - it's nice to have things quieted down

Conditions at 5:30 am - 5' that's feeling a little more like 2'
Expected later - probably some rain at some point, and a high of 11' that's only going to feel like 8'

After the wonderfully warm weather on the weekend, we were certainly in for a shock the past two days. Yesterday there was quite a heavy frost on the car, so you know it was chilly. In fact, I had to do some digging to find a warmer jacket, as I just haven't gotten around to taking out any warm clothes as yet. Guess I'd better do that soon, as the shorts and tank tops in my dresser drawer are doing little more than taking up space at this point in the season. 

It's been a quiet couple of days. Monday evening I caught up on some laundry and then watched an hour of TV and that was it. Tuesday was community school so that pretty much took the evening as well. Once home, I headed off to bed to read for a bit before falling asleep.  After the flurry of activity last week, it's really nice to not have anything pressing that needs doing (not that there aren't things that NEED doing!)

Lloyd, on the other hand, has been extremely busy. He had a great day yesterday, completely finishing stacking all the wood (which I'm really sorry, but I had only a tiny hand in doing). He pretty much did it all. In fact, our little wood shed, is pretty much filled to capacity.  Things are put away for the winter that were hanging around the yard.  In fact, he was slightly insulted that I didn't notice when I got home. But I was concentrating on getting my stuff gathered together and in the house, because I knew that supper would be waiting - and it was. After I finished eating I went outside to check out his work. He was indeed a busy boy on Tuesday.

We just lit our first fire a week ago, the day the fellow came by to clean the chimney, as it was quite cool that morning. But then it turned warm again. This fall has definitely been easy on the wood supply.  But Monday night, it was  cold and damp and it was so nice to come into the house to a warm fire burning in the stove. There's really nothing like it. 

I know what he's likely having for breakfast this morning when he gets home. One of the salesmen at work just moved to a rural area and his new landlord has an assortment of ducks and chicken. They gave him some duck eggs to try so he brought three in for me. They are a little bigger than our grocery store chicken eggs, but they are much heavier. I weighed them both and the chicken egg was 58 grams, while the duck egg was 91 grams. It would certainly take some calculating if you were to use them in a baking recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment