Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Wednesday, October 1st - already???

Conditions at 5:30 am: overcast and a balmy 12'
Expected later: somewhere between 13 and 15, depending on who you listen to, but sunny, so it's all okay - should be a lovely fall day!

What a difference a day can make. Saturday and Sunday were so lovely and warm and we almost froze on Monday and Tuesday. Okay, maybe not literally, but the drop in temperature was quite drastic. With highs around 10' it certainly felt much cooler. We need a more gradual approach to these things.

Monday was a fairly quiet evening. I spent the early part out in the craft room finishing up a small project I'd been working on. It's not quite done yet but ready to move on to the finishing step. I'd tell you what it is but I've not yet decided what I'm going to do with it. I started out making it for myself but it could end up being a Christmas Gift. It's a little early to tell just now.

Speaking of Christmas, Brenda and I have made a spectacular arrangement this year. First let me tell you about Louise Penny. She's this brilliant Canadian author Brenda introduced me to a couple of years ago. Her books take place primarily in a small rural village in Quebec.  You really need to read them in the order in which they were written to totally appreciate the characters and the references to past events. She loaned me the first one, then the second, third and fourth (which we swapped last Christmas, after she gave me one of them).

I recently received an email notification from Indigo, that her newest book was now available for purchase. Then we thought we should look and see first what ones we were missing. Turns out there were a total of 6 books that we needed to read, including the new one. So I took it upon myself to order them all. Once they arrived and had been suitably fondled, we arrived at a great arrangement. We would split the cost of said books and tell each other "Merry Christmas" , which is precisely what we did.  I read the first one and passed it on to her, and now I've finished the second of six, and it's ready to be  handed over as well. I have to confess I spent a fair bit of time reading on Sunday afternoon, but it was outside in the sun, so that should count for something. I finished up the last few pages on Tuesday morning before I got out of bed. I really enjoyed that particular one. It takes place primarily in the middle of Old Quebec City, in February. As the main character walks down along the winding, narrow snow covered streets of the old city it immediately brought me back to a trip Lloyd and I took there a number of years ago. We stayed overnight in Quebec
City but spent a day and evening touring the old part of town. As I read the words on the page, I was taken back to those same streets, covered in snow and ice, creating a post card like setting. Some of the buildings and sites mentioned were some of the same ones that Brenda and I had enjoyed in the summer of 2013, so it was a truly enjoyable book to read. I hope she enjoys it as much as I did. I was telling Lloyd about them and now he'd like to give the first one - STILL LIFE -  a try. I think he'll also enjoy them. Besides being well written, the author goes into great detail describing the delicious foods of the province. I'm sure it will have Lloyd drooling - because we all know it's really all about the food, not whodunit!

No comments:

Post a Comment