Friday, May 3, 2013

Friday, May 3rd - spring is truly here - at least for me

While we have had a few nice days,  yesterday and today don't really feel like spring. Yesterday was only a high of 9 but the wind blowing from the north certainly made it feel much colder. Today isn't going to be much better. It's currently 2' this morning but it feels more like -2'. This afternoon will be 9' but will only feel like 6'. But trust me spring is here.

I know the usual signs of spring that people look for - the first robins, the reappearance of raccoons, the first crocuses and the tulips and daffodils coming up, the emerging buds on the trees but there is really only one true sign of spring for me, the first of which I saw on Wednesday. Then between Wednesday morning and Thursday evening, I spotted a total of 5 of these in various colours in various locations. Of course, I'm talking about .....





...The Mazda Miata.

Like spring flowers, they are popping up all over the area. The ultimate tease is the Mazda dealership that's right across the street from ours. Every day I  have to sit at my desk while the little black Miata sits high on it's perch, facing me day in and day out. I look out my window and there it is, taunting me to come and take it for a test drive.

But I dare not. I've driven them in the past from time to time, if only for a brief few minutes but enough time to know how it feels to zip down the highway in a body hugging little car with the wind whipping through my hair (no helmet required).
No, instead I will wait patiently for the day when somebody comes along with the same dream and takes it away and out of temptation! Then that will be it for another year as they usually only bring in one each spring.

But, how can I possibly complain?  We now have this really cool tractor that I can learn to drive - I don't think it will get up enough speed to have the wind whip through my hair but at least I won't need to wear a helmet :-)

Speaking of said tractor, last night Lloyd picked me up after work to go out to somewhere between Hunter River and Kensington to look at a blade and a bucket for his tractor. After having to call Brenda for directions as we missed the road on the first pass, we finally found our destination. After negotiating the purchase, we headed back to town to Cedars for a Schawarma and Lebanese rice.  By the time we got home it was 8:30 so that was pretty much it for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment