Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Wednesday, May 22nd -Long weekend part I

It's a little milder this morning at 8' but cloudy. We may see some showers later this afternoon and reach a high of 11', much better than the weather we had for most of the weekend. It was very cold with rain mixed with a bit of snow for most of Saturday, but Sunday wasn't so bad as it did clear up and the sun actually came out in the afternoon. There was a threat of up to 5 cm of snow on Cape Breton Island but fortunately that didn't happen. Yesterday I read in the paper that Gander Nfld. received 54 cm of snow between Saturday and Sunday so I suppose a little cold wet rain wasn't really so bad after all.

It was a busy weekend - where to start. I suppose at the beginning when I royally messed up the ferry reservation. I left work early so I could pick Lloyd up and be at the boat in lots of time for the 6:30 crossing. I was surprised when we got there that there was only one other car waiting in line - it was a long weekend after all. When we got to the gate, the attendant checked the list for the next sailing and didn't see our name in spite of the fact that I had made a reservation. Turns out I had booked the 6:30 boat alright - the one that had sailed at 6:30 that morning. Not to worry- we can get you on this one but it doesn't leave until 8:00 pm. It was 5:30 at the time so we had quite a long wait. Fortunately the cafeteria was open so we went inside and took our books with us and had coffee.

This little error was going to make our arrival at the B&B in Antigonish around 10:30.  I called the lady who runs it and suggested that we were going to be quite late and she was totally okay with that and said she would see us when we got there, not to worry.  We eventually got on the boat and by that time we were hungry. Lucky for me Lloyd had taken my earlier suggestion seriously and packed us a nice picnic. We had egg salad sandwiches, tuna sandwiches and pastries for dessert, while we sat at a table and read our books.  It was a great idea.

When we finally got off the boat and back on the road it took approximately an hour to get to the B&B called The Carpenter's Mrs Bed and Breakfast. It was dark and raining and we pulled over to check the numbers on houses and didn't we pull in right at the house. We were warmly welcomed by Ruth who showed us to our lovely room and asked if we would care for some tea. A nice cup of hot tea was just what we needed after driving for an hour on dark, rainy and unfamiliar roads. We went down stairs and joined Ruth and Albert in the living room for tea and fresh from the oven Lavender Oatcakes. They were truly a treat and perfect with a hot cup of tea. (She was very kind to share the recipe with me).
We had a lovely chat while we had our tea and it was close to midnight when we got to bed.

In the morning we were treated to a wonderfully stuffed cheese and veggie omelet along with yogurt and granola,  bacon. toast and juice, tea and coffee.  Towards the end of our meal, Albert came in and sat down and chatted with Lloyd and Ruth sat and chatted with me. We continued our chat while the men went outside to check out Albert's tractor.  I have to admit I could have happily spent the day with Ruth but we had to be on our way. It was 10:30 when we hit the road again after bidding farewell to Ruth and Albert. If traveling that way again, we will definitely plan to stay there again. That's one of the things we really enjoy about staying at a B&B - you meet some really interesting people.

It was only drizzling slightly and it was daylight so the last leg of the trip was much better. We arrived at the B&B in Glace Bay around 1:30 with ample time to get ready for the wedding at 3:00. Our accommodations in Cape Breton were very nice as well. The Cedarwoods B&B only has one bedroom that they rent out but it's in the basement. We essentially had a whole apartment at our disposal. Besides the bedroom, we also had a dining area and a living room area complete with TV and of course our own bathroom. This was a nice feature as we were going to be there for a couple of days. Again we were treated really well and it was nice to have the extra space.

We got changed and headed over to the hall where the wedding was being held. They did a nice job of decorating and the ceremony was lovely.  We were warmly greeted by the brides father Seaward, brother of an  old friend,  and his wife Charlene. ( I realized after I got home that I never did get any photos of the bride's mother as she was too busy flitting around!) The bride's two sisters were her attendants.

 I reminded them of the time they were visiting Guelph as a family and I brought newborn granddaughter Meghan over to visit. I think she was about 18 hours old. I had picked Patti up at the hospital after giving birth the night before. I inquired how long it would be before I could take this new baby visiting and she told me I could take her now. So I dropped Patti off at home and then went over to Arts with this tiny infant. The girls were thrilled and their mom was amazed that this tiny new baby was out socializing already.  (That also let Patti off the hook - Grandma was the one who brought this new baby home to then 21 month old James, not his mom. I'm sure there are days when he's never forgiven me! )

The bride with her two sisters (L-R- Emily, Allison, Samantha)
Meghan , you must recognize these girls -
you've met them before - so what if you were only 18 hours old!


I always have to check out the cake whenever I'm at a wedding

When the ceremony was over we had a couple of hours to kill until the supper so we headed out to explore Glace Bay. Many years ago I worked with a girl in Toronto who had come from here so I'll have to touch base and let her know I visited her home town.

Outside of town

Not a great day for the beach!


We arrived at the hall later for the dinner to discover that we were being seated with another couple from Guelph. I had met Mark a couple of times and so had Lloyd but we really didn't know him and his wife Cathy, although they had lived next door to our good friend Art, who was the uncle of the bride. We had a nice time chatting and getting to know them and it was good for all of us that we had a location in common. At one time we had actually lived on the same street, but not at the same time.   Cathy and I were talking about how busy kids are these days, as they have two girls. Turns out her girls dance at the same dance school as my granddaughter - Meghan (1). We may just run into each other at the dance recital in June!
Mark and Cathy from Guelph

Seaward, me and Lloyd 

Only Seaward could get away with a camo tux.
Dude - too many episodes of Duck Dynasty!

We left the reception around midnight and headed back. It had been a long day and we were both tired. We bid our farewells with plans to get together again sometime on Sunday - stay tuned for part II  of our Cape Breton adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment