Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Wednesday, May 15th - it truly was a dark and stormy night!

As the daylight slowly comes into the sky, the rain is easing off slightly and the winds have died down just a bit. I was awakened several times during the night to the sounds of the rain pounding against the window and the wind literally shaking the house at times. It's currently 4' but feels more like -1' but we should reach a high of 14' later with drier conditions.

Monday after I got home from work I picked Lloyd up and we headed down our road. Once again this year we are treated to a spectacular display of tulips courtesy of the local tulip growers. What a spectacular sight they make. Unfortunately the black flies were also out in full force so walking among them wasn't really much of an option. I went far enough to get a couple of pictures and that was it. I don't know how far they extended because there was a bit of a knoll and I couldn't see over it but if past years are any indication, it's quite a distance.




It's hard to imagine that in a day or two ( if not already done) the heads of all the flowers will be unceremoniously chopped off. This spectacular display has nothing what so ever to do with  the flowers - it's all about the bulbs. The blooms will be cut off so the goodness can go into the bulb. We are very fortunate to have this display as long as we do.

Not much else is happening. Work has been really busy so I'm enjoying just vegging a bit in the evening although I have gotten caught up on mundane stuff like laundry. I have also gotten all my quilt blocks put together. I just have a bit of hand sewing to do on the back and then the border can go on. It's far from perfect but it's still somewhat attractive and I hope they'll like it. It's heavier than I thought it might be so I'm thinking it might be better used as a blanket to place on the floor to lie the baby down on. I remember how much Patti loved lying on the floor and wiggling around and looking around at the world when she was tiny. Because I haven't used baby fabrics, I can see it being something a little girl could keep folded up on the end of her bed to use as a snuggly blanket when it gets chilly. The back is flannel so it's really nice and soft. I'll post a photo when I get the border finished.

Tonight Brenda and Marlene are coming over to do some artsy crafty things for the church. Letters for words need to be cut out and of course I have just the tools to do that.  Then tomorrow night it will be get packed and ready to head out on Friday after work. We plan to catch the 6:30 ferry to Nova Scotia and then we'll be on our way to Cape Breton. I'm hoping the weather cooperates. I don't mind if it's a bit chilly but it would be nice if the rain stopped for traveling. We'll keep our fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment