Monday, May 6, 2013

Monday, May 6th -it's that time of year again - Lobster Season!

It's a milder 6' this morning and heading for a lovely sunny 19' later this afternoon - much too nice to have to work, but such is life.

It was a beautiful weekend though not quite as warm as expected later today.  After not feeling too well on Friday I was glad to wake up feeling much better on Saturday. Work wasn't too busy on Saturday so I was able to catch up on some stuff I didn't get done on Friday. Then Saturday evening we were treated to a feast at the Van Gaals - the first lobster of the season!  Potato Salad, coleslaw and home made rolls rounded out a perfect meal - topped off with a homemade Blueberry Raspberry pie and ice cream for dessert. Does it really get any better? I don't think so.

All that remains of our lobster feast - a pot full of shells
ready to be made into a luscious stock

Sunday morning dawned nice and sunny although a bit cool. Lloyd and Bernie headed off on their bikes around 8:00 for coffee and then breakfast some where. It gradually got warmer and they didn't get home till around 3:00. I took the opportunity to spend some time doing some jobs around the house - putting away my winter clothes, getting out my summer ones, doing some laundry, fun stuff like that. Brenda popped in for a coffee after church and we planned the rest of our day from there. We met again at 1:00 and loaded up the kayaks and headed to the Johnson's River for our first paddle of the season. The breeze was a bit cool when we first got there then once we were on the water and working a little we quickly warmed up. It was a gorgeous day to be out on the water. We explored some little channels on the river we hadn't found before.





In some spots the channels are quite narrow and present a bit of a challenge to steer through but it's interesting to see where they go.  I'm looking forward to taking James out there when he visits in July.
Yes, James is coming for a few day for the Canada Day Weekend. His favorite band, Hedley, is playing at a massive Canada Day concert series. I know it's not really cool to have to go to a rock concert with your grandma, but he's a good sport and is looking forward to it. Fortunately grandma has been to a few rock concerts in her day so it won't be a totally unpleasant experience. In fact it will be a lot of fun.  Besides fishing, he'll likely have to go for a bike ride with the boys on Sunday morning and of course, we will have to kayak.  Should be a good time for all, I think.

Patti called yesterday to tell me she was picking up the tickets for the dance recital I'll be attending in June in Ontario. The 'star' of the show, has requested that we sit in the front row - did I mind that? Of course not - I need to be able to see that smiling face up close and be able to count every sequin on the costumes! I can't believe it's really just a month away.


No comments:

Post a Comment