Monday, November 25, 2013

Monday, November 25th - a busy but VERY productive weekend

 We woke up this morning to -6, but the high winds that just don't want to quite are making it feel much colder for who knows how many days in a row. It's pretty much going to stay that way for the rest of the day. We had a few flurries last evening but nothing to speak of. But I see this morning that parts of southern Ontario received up to 70 cm of snow. Yikes!

Because it was a cold and windy weekend, it was perfect for working inside the garage.
I took Saturday off intending to finish what I had hoped to start on Friday night. Didn't quite go as planned. Lloyd was over at the VanGaals during the day helping with some cement that was being poured so I picked up a couple of pizzas in town and arrived at their house just at they were finished and had come into the house. Talk about timing!  By the time I got home I was too tired to start painting on the primer as I had originally intended. In all honesty, the real reason was I didn't want to work for a short time and then have to wash up the tray and rollers, only to start all over again in the morning.

The final light fixture
Instead I went to bed relatively early and got a fairly early start on Saturday morning. I was about 2/3 done priming by the time Lloyd got home from work at 8:30. By 11:00 the primer was all on and drying. After Lloyd got up from a few hours sleep, around 1:00, we both headed out to tackle the painting. It went surprisingly faster than I had expected, especially with both of us working on it. We were all finished by shortly after 5:00   when we called it a day. We had just finished eating supper and were catching up on a bit of TV, around 7:30  when the power went out. I got out some candles and my book and Lloyd went to bed.

Sunday morning we were up early and headed back out to the garage. My job was to paint all the trim while Lloyd installed the light fixtures. I was amazed that it took us at least half the day to do that. Then it was time to do a final cleaning and bring all the tools and garbage downstairs. While Lloyd worked on the last of the switch plates, I brought in the packages of foam flooring. It was amazing how quickly and easily it went down, although a bit of trim along the one wall did take quite a bit of time. We were almost finished when Brenda and Bernie stopped in to check out the progress. Needless to say, they were suitably impressed.

Easy to put down and a joy to walk around on
We needed a few more switch plate and plug covers and since Lloyd didn't have to go to town until Monday night, I told him I would take him out for supper. So we headed into Stratford, picked up the plates at the hardware store and then made our way across the bridge to Cedars for some Lebanese food, something we hadn't had in a while. It was nice to sit down and relax after a couple of busy days.

After eating, we went back home because Lloyd was ever so anxious to finish up the last of the trim work on the edges of the floor and I put one last coat of paint on the balcony door. Then I came in to bring in some wood for the fire as we were out in the house. Unfortunately I wasn't paying very close attention to where I was walking and managed to step on a fair sized nail sticking out of a piece of
wood. Not to worry, I'll finish what I'm doing and get to in shortly. After finishing the wood and getting the fire going I headed out again to see how things were progressing. I went to take my shoes off and saw that my sock was soaked in blood - seems I did a really good job! Not to worry, inside for a hot bath and a
Trust me, there's a plan for these coloured 'zones' 
good soaking and it should be good as new in a few days. The main thing is my room is now all finished except for some baseboards that Lloyd will install over the next couple of days, in between helping Bernie.

I know he's glad to have it finished and I know for the most part he's pretty proud of the results. I on the other hand, am ecstatic!  I never really thought I would be in there so soon. Now I just have to get my stuff moved out of the house - that could take a while - but Brenda has offered to help so we'll get started this evening. It could take several days to complete the transition.

2 comments:

  1. Sandra, It looks fantastic. Great choice for the flooring. Can't wait to see you hard at work on one of your many projects in your new "Studio". I must tell you, I bought Gail the new Michael Smith Cook Book for her birthday next month. Her cooking is great but I know she will enjoy new ideas from his book. I will have to keep going to the gym but so be it. Judi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good evening Sandra. Wow you guys work hard. Let me know when Lloyd is coming to Guelph. I'm hoping to take him out for lunch.

    Tony

    ReplyDelete