Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Wednesday, November 6th - our first flurries


.

This morning it's a chilly 3' but we should reach a pleasant 9' later with a mix of sun and cloud - not such a bad day. Monday night as I was coming home from work,( in the dark!), it was flurrying and quite heavily in spots. But they were wet flurries and didn't stay on the ground. I picked Brenda up for a meeting a little before 7:00 and it really wasn't a night you wanted to leave a nice warm house to go out into.

With my meeting on Monday evening, and dance class last night, I really haven't seen Lloyd. A few minutes over supper on Monday and that was it. He was sleeping when I got home both evenings so we'll have to catch up tonight. He's adjusting very well to his new job and work is being done out in the garage. I haven't been out there since Sunday so have no idea how it's going but I know that some of the insulation is in. 

He's been fairly busy this past couple of weeks with check up appointments for his aviation medical. His last one was his eye test and he spent quite a bit of time with Dr. Jinx, discussing South Africa, as that's where he's from. Lloyd and his friend Jan spent a week there a number of years ago so he was keen to chat with the optometrist.   I think he's finally finished now for another year, I suppose. Hopefully he'll get to use his flying abilities soon if the weather cooperates and he can get to Ontario. This full time employment is cutting into his fun just ever so slightly. That was one of the pluses of being unemployed - he could fly up there whenever he wanted and stay as long as he liked. Now it's a different story.

 Patti and the kids school are looking for ideas for the annual "Sparkles in the Park". It's a massive light display put on each year by various local companies and it's really quite special to tour at Christmas. They school hasn't participated in the past but they are doing this instead of the Santa Claus Parade. They've had a float in the parade for years. Usually a flat bed truck, with bales of straw and the kids, some parents and staff decorate it according to the yearly theme and they all sit on the straw on the float. Now this year, the city (I'm assuming) has made a rule that no one under the age of nine years is allowed on any of the floats. Well that pretty much eliminates most of the school. I dare say that will eliminate most children's groups - brownies, cubs, etc. I thought a Santa Claus Parade was for the kids??? So the school isn't putting a float in this year and are doing the Park display instead.  Patti asked for my ideas, if I had any, and I could only
come up with one. I think I've been living in rural PEI a little too long! All I could come up with was to find an old piece of farm equipment ( I was thinking something like Lloyd's old tractor) and have a Christmas in the country or an antique Christmas theme. I can see lots of bales of straw, old fashioned decorations that the kids at the school can make themselves out of materials that won't be affected by rain. Vinyl wallpaper could be cut into strips to make paper chains for some trees,  packing peanuts could be strung like popcorn, you get the idea. Then instead of lights all over, just a simple spotlight on the whole thing. Perhaps some animals or birds of some sort, if they were waterproof. I know I've seen plastic deer on lawns before and certainly this time of year you can find fake geese and ducks and such. I think it could be done quite nicely but the idea has to go to the school committee. I'm sure they'll come up with all kinds of great ideas.It's just to find something that the kids can take an active part in creating. But they're all very creative folks and I know they'll come up with something fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment