Monday, November 4, 2013

Monday, November 4th - the plan is coming together

It's a cool, but dry 4' this morning and with a mix of sun and cloud expected later, we might reach 5'. What we see this morning seems to be what we get. Not so bad, really, when you look at other parts of the country that are shoveling out from under up to 30 cm of snow. Those days will get here soon enough.
We really have had  a lovely fall, that's for sure.

Saturday was a beautiful sunny day but had clouded over by the time I left work.  After a stop at the grocery store to pick up a couple of things, and a quick cup of tea at Brenda's, I headed home to see what I could do to help in the garage, if anything. The last of the wiring was being completed but not without a couple of challenges. It was suggested to me that the best thing I could do was make some tea, so that's what I did. Not a big contribution, but an important one, apparently. He headed back out to work a bit more and I did a couple of things in the house, including work on my floor plan.

 I spent quite a bit of time on Saturday working on it. I made a list of all the items that have to come out of the house (it's a lengthy list) and a list of the work areas I want to set up. Then I made a graph and determined the approximate measurements of everything. I've come up with something that I think will work - at least on paper! I needed to determine just what else I needed to pick up in the way of tables or work desks. Once I had everything in place on paper, I decided I needed two desks for scrapbooking. But not just any desks. They need to be both the same. My plan is to place them facing each other and pushed up against each other so we have two separate work spaces but are both together so we can chat while we work and not have our backs to each other. I decided two identical desks would do nicely. But where to find them? I went online to look for used office furniture and didn't I find someone in Mermaid, ( just down the road a piece) who had two desks, the very same, for sale. I emailed and sure enough they were still available.

Sunday morning I drafted Lloyd to go with me to see the desks and haul them home on the trailer. They were perfect - just what I imagined. Now they're in the small shed, waiting to move upstairs.  After lunch, I headed over to the Rec Centre to help with the annual spaghetti supper and Lloyd figured out the challenge he was having with his wiring and went  on to start on insulation. Two walls are now insulated!   Things should move fairly quickly now that the stairs and wiring are complete. I'm so excited to see progress moving along so well. My hope is to be able to start moving things in the weekend he's away, which will be here before we know it - in a couple of weeks. But we'll see. As long as I'm in there by Christmas I'll be happy. He has his own motivation - he wants to have the boys over for a little Christmas gathering and hopes to have it up there. I suggest that if that's the case, we'll be having a girls night over the holidays as well. I have a small artificial Christmas tree tucked away that will be going up there for sure. 

Lloyd joined Bernie and his sister, at the spaghetti supper and then we all reconvened at the Van Gaals for tea and cake later. Let's just say that our diets didn't do well yesterday. No worries, today is a new day.

James had a busy weekend. He had a speed skating meet in Cambridge on Saturday and Sunday. I haven't heard yet how he finished. Unfortunately they didn't stream this one online. I know he finished 2nd in his first two races but I don't know he he did in his other three.  They had a ceremony on Saturday afternoon to honour club members who have gone on to compete in the Olympics. Patti's taking an active role in participating in the club and was involved in the planning of the event. She sent along this photo of the banners after they were unveiled. Certainly a source of pride for those skaters and a real inspiration for those coming along behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment