Friday, July 8, 2011

A great mystery solved!

Conditions at 5:30 am: 15' and sun burning off the haze over the water
Expected later: 24' with a mix of sun and cloud

Another bright sunny morning
Just waiting for me and my cup of tea
Last night I finished cutting the grass that I had started on Tuesday evening. I love how neat everything looks when the grass has just been cut. I really don't mind riding around on the lawn mower, as it's actually great time to think about things as it's kind of mindless work. It was a lovely evening and as I traveled up and down the lawn something occurred to me. I was wondering... where do Islanders go for vacation?  When I lived in Ontario, the majority of people go somewhere else for their vacation. Granted, those who own cottages in the province usually go there, but those who are not cottagers have to go elsewhere. Lots of people that I encountered would pack up the family and head out on the highway. Because it takes so long to go anywhere west of Ontario, a lot of people would come east. Some to New Brunswick, some to Nova Scotia and some to PEI. So as I was pondering this thought one question I had was answered. I've spoken to people who know of folks here on the island who have never been off the island and they tend to think that's odd. But as I look out this morning at the mist over the river and the sun  shining on the lush green trees and grass it occurs to me - why would you ever leave? This tranquil setting is what most people in the big cities off island are craving. I guess it just took me a little while to figure that one out. Now I admit, I love to travel as well as the next person, but this is one heck of a beautiful place to come home to.

Speaking of travel, Jana called me last night regarding our trip to New York City next weekend. She wanted to know if I had any problem with sleeping on an air mattress on the floor of Kristi's apartment. It's NYC - it's Paul McCartney - I'll sleep on a park bench in Central Park if I have to!!! I'm really looking forward to it. She told me that next week is restaurant week in NYC so  I have to choose the restaurant for supper on Saturday night. Well, I went online and what a daunting task that is. Lloyd, check it out and see if there's anything you think I should try

http://www.nycgo.com/restaurantweek

The issue is, how to choose?  I think I'll just give her a list of things I'd like to try and let her see what's available. Some of the ones I want to try are not participating in the promotion on Saturday so that helps pare the list down a bit.  But we still have lunch on Friday so we could do one of those then. We'll see when I get there. Apparently the tickets are in the mail. They were sent just before the mail strike and Ontario is telling us they are really backlogged and it could take another week for it all to be cleared. Let's keep our fingers crossed that they get here in time.Not to worry, we'll figure something out.

Did I mention I'm going to see Paul McCartney in New York City!!!!!!!!!!!! AND staying in a New York City apartment? How fun will that be?

1 comment:

  1. Hey I cut my lawn last night too. Because we are off to the country festival today and eating overpriced pizza and beer there while you are trying to choose where to eat in New York when you are not at the PAUL MCCARTNEY concert. I ask " How fair is that""

    ReplyDelete