Friday, July 29, 2011

Only in the Maritimes...



Conditions at 5:30: 15' and quite foggy
Expected later: 24' and sunshine

You know you're in the Maritimes when....
Several years ago, we were trying to get hold of Lloyd's brother in St. John's. At the time he didn't have a telephone so Lloyd called the cab company he thought he worked for, and was told he didn't work for them.  Lloyd explained that it was his brother calling from Ontario. A short  time later, our phone rang. It was his brother. It seems the person who took the call found someone who knew Everett, sent a cab out to his place and told him his brother was trying to get hold of him. So Everett went to his neighbours and called us. We thought it was pretty amazing at the time because that just wouldn't happen in a lot of other places. Well, something similar happened last night. Brenda stopped in after her fitness class and we were sitting in the kitchen and talking when my phone rang. The caller asked if I was Sandy, and when I responded that I was, she proceeded to tell me that she was calling from the box office at Credit Union Place in Summerside and was asking if I would like to change my Elton John seats that were singles, to two together. It took me a second to process this information because I hadn't bought any tickets. When I told her it was someone else who bought the tickets, she said Brenda's name and it turns out she had called the VanGaals to speak to Brenda and someone there gave her Brenda's cell phone number as well as my number. So after not getting an answer on her cell, she tried my number. So I put the phone over to Brenda and they sorted out the seats. Only in the Maritimes - you can run but you sure can't hide - if they want you, they will find you. We had such a good laugh over that one.

I cut the lawn in the back yard yesterday afternoon and the rest still needs cutting but if it doesn't get done before the weekend, I can live with that. I'm planning to put the large white tent up in the immediate back yard and we can sit out there and set up the tables for eating as well. Then if it's too sunny or it rains, we will be fine. We can also keep the mosquitoes under control in that controlled environment. At least that is my plan. Brenda has very graciously offered to come over on Sunday and help out and I suspect Lloyd and Bernie may go for a bike ride in the morning. But we'll see how the weekend plays out. I bought tickets for tonight's performance of Come All Ye at the Mack. I've heard some really great things about it and this weeks special guest is our neighbour, Margie Carmichael so it should be a good time. Lloyd is due in at 6:00 and if something happens and he doesn't get on the flight, I'll be calling Brenda to meet me in town and use the other ticket. But we'll see. I'll know  by 4:00 if he doesn't get on the flight. Then I could come home and we could go back into town. But with any luck he'll make it. It's just always good to have a back up plan.

I noticed last night that I'm just about out of wine, so I've washed up my bottles and I'm thinking I'll have enough time at lunch today to go down and bottle some more. The bulk wine at our liquor store is such a great way to save on some decent wines. It's slightly more than doing home made wine but the quality is so much better.

The "Naked Chef"
I debated about putting this photo in here but it's just so priceless. The subject shall remain nameless and I won't say where it came from but one day he will be most embarrassed to know this picture was taken. Anyone who has little kids  will understand that sometimes they just like to run around naked and I envy them the freedom to be so uninhibited. However some situations do require the correct attire - especially if one is, for example, cooking or baking cookies. The rest is self explanatory but it took a while to get the smile off my face yesterday, it was so funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment