Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Light rain???

 

Conditions at 5:30: Light rain and 17'
Expected later: more rain and 22'

The weather network says at the moment we are experiencing light rain - maybe where they are! It's pouring down here and has been since most of overnight. But the up side is I won't have to water my flower pots this morning.  It's supposed to be like this all day and most of the rest of the week, I think.
But  I did check the weather for New York City and it's stinking hot right now but going to get to a more comfortable 25' by the time we get there and should stay that way for the entire time. As long as it's not raining on Friday night and so far, fingers crossed, it's not supposed to. It is Yankee Stadium, after all, and I don't think it's covered like the sky dome (however I could be wrong).

On Saturday I was poking around on the net and I found the site with the Soprano's tour that Lloyd and I did years ago. Turns out they also do a Sex and the City tour. I emailed Jana and asked if she and Kristi were fans and it turns out that's something they've been wanting to do for quite some time so yesterday I booked it for the three of us. It's by bus with a few stops and takes approximately 3.5 hours so we are scheduled to leave at 10:30.  That will still give us lots of time left over to do other things in the afternoon. It will be a great way to see the city, with a different spin from the regular sight seeing bus tours.

Can't really see them but the sunflowers are in the back row
I can't believe how much my sunflower plants have grown in a week - at least 6 inches. I'm not sure how well they will actually do as that side of the house doesn't get sun other than the morning and a bit until the sun moves around to the side of the house but we'll see. Of course on a cloudy, rainy day, I don't suppose it matters much.

On Saturday, when I was on my way home from town, as I came through Mount Stewart, there on the right side of the road were two lobster traps, with a sign in each of them saying 'free'.  Well, you know the rest. I now have a lobster trap in my yard. All I have to do is figure out where to put it and I think I know just where. I plan to put a small garden at the side of the baby barn and plant the hollyhock seeds that Fran gave me, and I the lobster trap will look great in that flower bed. My next project when I get back. But  I have new found respect for our lobster fishermen. I know it's a lot of work but I had no idea the traps themselves were so heavy. They have a big piece in the bottom made of stone or concrete or something, I assume to keep them down in the water, and that makes them VERY heavy.  I suppose the buoyancy of the water would help to get them to the surface but from there to the boat, that's got to be a torturous task.

I'm very excited to learn that James is coming to visit for a whole week by himself. He's the only one who hasn't had that opportunity. We'll find a camp for him at UPEI and I already spoke with the shuttle driver at work and he'll drop him off  for me every morning (after I take him the first morning). I think James will enjoy meeting Carlisle and the other customers in the mornings.  Then we have lots of things we can do in the evenings and on the weekend. We are going to go for a bike ride with Brenda and Bernie and he can ride with Bernie. There's a go-cart track out in Bonshaw that we should try out and I have a few other plans up my sleeve. I'm looking forward to spending some quality time with him. It's been a long time since we were on a trip together and he's such a great travelling partner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment