Tuesday, October 18, 2011



Conditions at 5:30 am: 11' and overcast
Expected later: 15' with isolated showers

It's a slow news day today. Not much going on yesterday except I stopped into the liquor store last night on my way home and picked up a case of wine, as I've been out for quite a while. You can imagine my surprise when I noticed that the Australian Shiraz was 'Out of Order'. There was a fellow there corking his wine and he told me they're taking out the Shiraz and replacing it with another Australian red. What??? That was my favorite. But he told me the lady from the store said the new one would be just as good. We'll see.
I was watching Dragon's Den on the weekend (I had several episodes taped) and there were some folks on there who have come up with an item called the 'Bottle Bin', designed to hold 18 wine bottles being stored to take back to the recycling depot. I thought it looked interesting and then Kevin asked if they'd had any sales. They went on to explain that several liquor commissions in the country are using them and he listed PEI as one of the places that carried them. So, sure enough, when I got to the store there they were prominently displayed in the front of the store. So I bought one to hold my 12 bottles for transporting back and forth. Now it sits in my front porch and provides a secure place for my empties and when it's full I know it's time for a refill. It's just a little handier than a cardboard box and is easy to carry. Great ideas people! Actually the Dragons thought so as well, as they also invested in the project.

We're all set for our jelly making class tonight. We're making grape jelly with some of the juice left over from Michelle's grapes. If you happen to have grapes in YOUR yard, here's the recipe I found online and it seems to work very well, although I like the results better if I don't process the jars in a water bath after. As long as the jars seal, I'm happy with that.


Concord Grape Jelly
 
recipe image
Rated:rating
Submitted By: SWIZZLESTICKS
Photo By: laidback
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Ready In: 1 Day 1 Hour
Servings: 64

"At one time my mother in law would make many different flavors of jams and jellies. This is one of her old recipes that she has given to me."
INGREDIENTS:
3 1/2 pounds Concord grapes
1/2 cup water
7 cups white sugar
1/2 (6 fluid ounce) container liquid pectin
DIRECTIONS:
1.Sort and wash grapes, and remove stems. Place them into a large kettle and crush them. Add water, cover, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and extract juice. Allow the juice to stand in a cool place overnight to prevent the formation of crystals in the jelly.
2.Strain the juice through a double thickness of damp cheesecloth. Measure 4 cups of the juice into a large pot. Stir in the sugar. Quickly bring to a full rolling boil. Stir in pectin, and allow to boil hard for 1 minute. Remove from heat, and skim off foam. Pour into hot sterile jars, and process for 5 minutes in a boiling water bath.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2011 Allrecipes.comPrinted from Allrecipes.com 10/18/2011


I made a batch with some bottled juice  and it turned out good but it's a little softer texture than I would like but I did a little browsing around yesterday and found an article by someone who makes jam from bottled pure juice and she also had the same results but a little extra pectin seems to take care of that problem. We'll give it a try tonight and see what happens.


(once again the blog came to the rescue - Brenda got home last night and was reading the blog when she realized she had forgotten our group had to bring something for lunch tonight. Hopefully everyone else remembers.

No comments:

Post a Comment