Thursday, October 20, 2011

A rainy but warm day



Conditions at 5:30 am: 9' and light rain
Expected later: 19' and more rain - 10-15mm

I had heard we were to get lots of rain today but it looks like that's not the case now. I was listening to the Guelph radio station at work yesterday and it sounds like they were really getting dumped on - high winds and 50 mm of rain (unless I just heard Dave and Neil wrong and it was 15mm). Regardless, it will be a day for an umbrella. But 19' in late October? That's amazing.

Last night was my second last training shift at the store. Friday will be my last. Although I don't know what will change on Saturday. Last night they just sent me to a lane and I was on my own for the entire night. It went well and I only had to call for help twice. I was tired when I got home so went straight to bed but I felt fine this morning when the alarm went off at 5:00 so I just might be able to do this. At least until spring. After that it will be tough, because keeping up with things like cutting the lawn will be a bit tricky. But for now on that's not a huge issue.

Not only is PEI small, so is the rest of the Maritimes apparently. Brenda and Bernie were touring around the Cabot Trail on Sunday. When they got home Monday they got a call from our mutual friend Richard commenting that he saw that the Van Gaals had made it to Meat Cove, a place on the north end of the trail. Turns out they passed each other on the way into town. Richard and Daralen were just leaving. Richard tried to call them on their cell phone but it was turned off.  What are the chances!
Brenda tells me they had a wonderful trip.The weather there was much better than here and the colours were beautiful. She even mentioned at school the other night that they had gone out to a bar and the beer was very reasonable, so they drank accordingly. Good thing they had quite a walk to get back to where they were staying for the night! Sounds like a good time was had by all. The only down side is the weather was so good, they could have taken the bikes - that would have been even better, but this time of year you just never know.

I was thinking about it last night as this was the second trip to the trail that the Anderson's have made in a few weeks. Then it struck me just how incredibly lucky we are to live in a place where we can just go for the day or the weekend to places that the rest of Canada spends the year planning their annual vacations to visit. Once Lloyd gets here it will be nice to make those kinds of trips. Speaking of Lloyd, he sent me an email with an amazing upcoming food show. I'd love to go, but at least I got to see my favorites out of the guest list when they visited here in the summer. But it does look like fun. He says he'll have to check his trap line and see who he can come up with to take with him!

http://deliciousfoodshow.com/schedule/opening-night-party

No comments:

Post a Comment