Friday, January 17, 2014

Friday, January 17th - and our mild spell continues

It's gotten slightly colder - 0' this morning and we will only climb to a high of 1' later today. Unlike Wednesday that made it up to 6' and sunny - what a beautiful day it was.  I talked to Brenda at lunch time and she was headed out for a walk. Great day for it.

We had rain overnight and most of yesterday but it seems to be stopped, at least for now. We may see some flurries later but we'll see.  We really need some colder weather to freeze up the yard as it's a sea of mud out there right now. I don't think I have anything to worry about, as I'm sure it will certainly be winter again really soon.

Once again, other than the weather, not a lot is going on. We have some friends coming for dinner on Saturday so I'm attempting to make some Salted Caramel Ice Cream to go with our dessert.  I made the custard last night and will put it through the ice cream maker tonight then stash it in the big freezer until tomorrow night. The custard's pretty tasty so hopefully the finished product will be as well.

The two younger kids are skating in a competition this weekend in Milton.  Then on February 8th they have a meet at their home rink so they're pretty excited about that. Because it coincides with the opening of the Olympics, they are turning it into an event. Patti is one of the volunteers (of course!) and they're planning all kinds of special things to go with it. I hope they stream it on line but if they don't maybe someone will tape it for me.  I finally figured out the face time thing on my phone. With any luck, I'll be able to connect with Meghan tomorrow and watch them skate via her iPad.

Lloyd had been working out in the garage this week and I couldn't believe the change in there when I went out the other night. It's all tidied up and stuff is put away and it looks great. He's working on the wiring right now then will start on the walls and the insulation. He's hoping to have the concrete floor poured this year so lots has to happen before then. But it's coming and  I think he enjoys working out there. He did need a little break after doing all the work upstairs. That was a huge job for him.  But now that Christmas is over, he's back at it. Of course the milder weather has made it much more pleasant to be out there. Even with a heater going in there, it was still pretty nasty when it was really cold. Hopefully we're done with those really frigid temperatures for this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment