Friday, January 24, 2014

Friday, January 24th - a very chilly morning!

At 5:15 am it's -18' but feeling more like -22.  We'll only reach a high later on in the sunshine of -15. The odd thing is we should go up to -2 on Saturday and +3 on Sunday with maybe a bit of rain or more snow in the mix.

Our blizzard lived up to expectations on Wednesday. So much so that they sent us home from work at 1:00. I made a stop on the way home to pick up some beef, mushrooms, etc and decided to make Lloyd a nice meal for his birthday, since I now had the time to do that.

I spent the afternoon making a lovely beef stroganoff  with buttered egg noodles and crisp fresh green beans on the side.  It actually turned our pretty good. Along with a chocolate caramel cupcake from the grocery store as I didn't know in advance I would have the afternoon off, and it was  dinner!




The rest of the evening was spent catching up on some TV.  The storm was raging on outside and around 8:00 Lloyd took a walk down to the end of the lane and there was no way he was going to get out. If he did make it down the lane, the road was pretty much plugged up. It was almost impassable (at least with a car) when I got home at 2:15 and it hadn't been plowed yet so there was no chance he's get through either by that time. So the decision was made to stay home.  The fellow who was working the afternoon shift wasn't able to find a casual to replace Lloyd so he worked a double shift. Then on Thursday, Lloyd did the same - worked from 4:00 in the afternoon until 8:00 this morning. He'll definitely be good and tired when he gets home today. Good news for him is there are left overs from Wednesday night's dinner so no cooking will he required tonight.

When I opened the door on Thursday morning, I was confronted with this snow bank right in front of the door.  It was up past the step and quite far reaching. Thank goodness for Frank and his snow blower and Lloyd and his snow shovel! I have to admit I was very grateful to have Lloyd home in the morning to help with all this snow. I know I did it by myself for 3 years but it's time's like this I REALLY appreciate having him around!





Bernie is still in hospital awaiting some sort of action plan. He's on  medications to try and alleviate the pain somewhat so that's pretty much where he's at. We'll both go in on the weekend for a visit.

Other than that, not much is going on. Pretty quiet weekend coming up but that's not a bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment