Thursday, January 2, 2014

Thursday, January 2nd - a belated Happy New Year to you all!

Gosh, where do I start? It's been a busy few days but here's the short version.

James arrived, as hoped, shortly after midnight on Boxing Day. We picked up a coffee for Lloyd and stopped in to see him at work for a few minutes then headed home. It was approximately 2:00 am when we got to bed. I got up and 6:00 the next morning and he insisted that he also be woken up so he could go to work with me.

I had saved a few filing and sorting jobs for him and he was okay with that, sitting at a spare desk in his suit and tie. But I know he was tired. By lunch I had pretty much nothing left for him to do. He was enjoying answering the phone and transferring the calls but it was a quiet day. I knew that Brenda and the girls were in town doing some shopping so I got hold of them as they had offered to take him home if needed.  So he headed back out to the country to spend the afternoon with Lloyd.

I spent the day monitoring the progress of Greg and the other two. They had left Guelph around 5:30 in the morning on the 27th and he was hoping to drive straight through. I was in contact with Meghan, who had Greg's phone and was texting me on their whereabouts. I still can't believe they did it, but they rolled in at about 1:45 in the morning on the 28th, preceded by an excited text "We're at the big strawberry!!!!!!".  Well done, Greg, I know it was a  bit challenging through parts of it, driving in snow for quite some time through New Brunswick.

Once everyone was in bed, safe and sound, I was able to relax. Everyone was where they were supposed to be. Saturday morning I had off work , and I had a couple of things to do in town. Meghan and I went into the grocery store and then dropped off some stuff at Value Village and the recycling depot, arriving at the airport shortly after Patti was on the ground, so we were able to just drive up and let her in the car.

Needless to say, Saturday was a pretty lazy day at our house, as was Sunday. Everyone was just kind of getting rested up.  The weather at that point was good so the kids spent lots of time outdoors. It was sunny and not too cold. Then Monday morning came with rain, and as I had to work, Patti took them to the pool in the afternoon.

Unfortunately the weather turned really cold after that. There's been some outside play, but not a lot.
I had saved an episode of Murdoch Mysteries that I thought James might enjoy.  After he finished watching it, he asked if I had anymore. So we found a couple of seasons on Netflix and he spent two days glued to the computer screen, trying to solve the next great crime in the city of Toronto in the 1800's.  Meghan has been enjoying the craft room. She's spent many afternoons up there working away.

Patti and the kids and I ventured into town on New Years Eve. We parked at the Superstore and got there just in time to catch the shuttle bus downtown. We walked over to Great George Street and saw the ice sculptures on display. It was very cold and we waited till the fireworks were done then went into the Murphy Centre. Most people had gone home and they had several large bouncy things set up inside for the kids. Our guys had a great time playing on them until around 9:00, when they were getting ready to shut everything down. The up side of that was most of the outside crowd had gone home so when we went outside to look for our shuttle, it was right there, waiting for us. A quick stop at a store to pick up some pop and we were back home. A fun night but it would have been much better had it not been quite so cold.

Needless to say, the cold is still hanging on. We went into town on Wednesday afternoon to see a movie and then had a lovely roast chicken dinner with all the trimmings when we got home.

So, it's been a relaxing few days but not so much an outdoor few days. Hopefully the weather will warm up a bit before they leave so we can go out to Brookvale and do some skiing.



No comments:

Post a Comment