Friday, February 21, 2014

Friday, February 21st - it's a great week to be a proud Canadian

Wow - what a week - weather and otherwise! The snow on Wednesday morning caused quite a challenge getting to work. It cleared up later in the day and it was actually sunny for a while. Then Thursday morning we woke up to the very same thing - lots of new snow, no school, lots of offices closed, and the same challenging  drive to work. Seems to me there's a movie like that where the fellow gets up each morning only to relive the same day over and over! Sure felt like it the second day in a row.

Today should be a little better - the wind was blowing overnight but fortunately the snowbanks outside don't seem any worse than they were last night. It's currently -5' this morning and it should go up to a sunny -1' later. The interesting part will be the freezing rain that should start around 11:00 tonight and continue until it warms up and turns to rain sometime before morning. Lloyd's drive into work tonight might be a tricky one.

Aside from the weather, it's been a great Olympic week. We've done so well, and several times we were literally sitting on the edge of our seats to the last second. Our island bobsled team (okay, they belong to all of Canada, but don't try to tell that to anyone in Summerside!) came through and won a gold after finishing second in the first three heats. Well done Heather and Kaillie. Then on Thursday afternoon, after overcoming a lead by the US team, our ladies hockey team went on to win the gold with a goal in overtime.  And of course, we can't forget our female curling team who won every single round they played, and finished with gold as well. It's been a pretty exciting week for the Canadian Ladies!!


I'm not usually much of a sports fan, but it's pretty hard not to get caught up in the excitement when your country is doing so well.  It's been an entertaining couple of weeks - not sure what I will do when it's all over.  The games have certainly made the work day much more interesting. Of course, because I'm the only one sitting in front of a computer all the time, all day long folks are dropping by my desk to ask how we're doing, so I am only doing my job - keeping everyone informed.

They come to me for pretty much everything else, so this is no different. I've learned that being the admin or receptionist, or whatever title you want to give this job, that everyone thinks:
 a) you know everything and
b) you have everything

You'd be amazed at what people come to me and ask if I have it - things like dental floss, bandaids, headache reliever, toothpaste, tape - of all sorts - masking, scotch, packing, you name it. Of course they all know I usually have some gum in my drawer so I often get asked for that. I've been asked if I have any chocolate , or just any food, because someone was hungry!  It's quite remarkable really. I suppose I should just be glad that I'm needed.  Not sure what they do when I go on vacation, but there are always a few hearty "welcome back, we missed you"'s when I get back but I'm fairly certain it's not me they missed as much as my bag of goodies ;-) !

Last night we were treated to a spaghetti supper at the Van Gaals, and so tonight we are reconvening at the same place and same time for pizza, that I will pick up before leaving town. It's been a while since we did that and it's always a popular option.  Let the weekend begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment