Monday, February 10, 2014

Monday, February 10th - another great weekend

It's a calm -15' this morning heading for a partly cloudy -8' later on. Not too bad for a mid winter's day. No snow in the forecast for the next few days, so that's a good thing.

It was a fairly quiet weekend. Nothing going on Friday, just supper and veg in front of some programs on TV. I was up early on Saturday morning as I had to remove everything out of our little front porch before I left for work. I had a project to undertake when I got home from work  A little while ago, I came up with the idea to put a bench in my kitchen, against the end wall under the window. Then I thought, hmm, wouldn't it be neat if I could find a church pew that would fit - something old in an old house. So the search began.  Then a couple of weeks ago, I found one. It was in a 100 year old church in town, that had made some changes in their configuration and some of the pews had to come out. I found the ad online. So I contacted them and went round to see it - it was exactly what I was looking for.

Lloyd picked it up earlier in the week and it just squeezed into the back porch - he had to put it somewhere to get it off the truck, but there was no way it was going through that door into the kitchen. The only option was the front door, so we decided to leave it till Saturday afternoon when it was daylight. When I got home on Saturday, we wrestled it around and finally got it into the kitchen. It's fairly heavy and is 9 1/2 feet long so not the easiest of things to maneuver around but we did it. The plan is somewhere down the road to make a new harvest table. It will be longer than the table we have now and will be perfect, but for now this one works. I'm quite pleased with it and actually, so is Lloyd. He came downstairs on Sunday morning and he said "I really like that bench there". It's quite a functional piece and nice to have that little bit of history in the house as well.

We had some friends over for supper on Sunday evening. We had postponed last weekend because of the weather and it was really nice to catch up with them. We served them Hunter Schnitzel, Spaetzle ( german noodles) braised red cabbage, steamed asparagus, fresh rolls and a orange chocolate layer cake for dessert.  We had a lovely evening.

I had gotten up early in the morning and started in cooking and cleaning, while Lloyd went out to continue work on his garage. Around 1:00 I was quite tired and ready to take a break so I met up with Brenda at 1:30 and we went for a little ski out in the woods at her place. There was no trail so we had to break through. It was a little tough going but coming back was much easier. It was a beautiful sunny day and in the woods we were sheltered from the wind. It was a glorious day to be out enjoying the season. We didn't realize how long we'd been out there and got back around 3:00.  Bernie is slowly making progress and is up and around and bless his little heart, had hot chocolate with Baileys in it ready for us when we got back. It was a nice treat for sure. So Brenda came back with me to help with the last minute preparations for dinner. There was absolutely no reason she needed to do that but I have to admit, I'm really grateful that she did.  Thanks to her help, I was ready for company when they arrived.  All in all, a pretty terrific weekend.

The kids had speedskating all weekend but I haven't heard yet how it went. Hopefully more on that on Wednesday. 



No comments:

Post a Comment