Friday, February 28, 2014

Friday, February 28th - good by and good riddance to THIS month

It's finally the last day of February. Aside from the past few nice days, many people are saying they are happy to see the end of this particular month. Snow, snow and more snow, not to mention lots of cold along with it. But March starts tomorrow so it can only get better ( we hope!). This morning it's -12 with a little bit of new snow. The wind chill this morning is -19 but not an issue out here at this point. We should reach a pleasant sunny -6 later today.

First photo taken with the new Ipad mini!
For those who may have missed my little post script on Wednesday's post, I have a new toy. I finally broke down and purchased an IPad Mini. It pretty much will do everything I need it to do and is much less expensive than the larger size, like the one Lloyd has permanently attached to the ends of his arms. I doubt that I will be quite that committed to it but I have to admit, it's quite a treat to have in the lunch room at work. A couple of the guys have their lunch at the same time as me. I don't enjoy the distraction from the TV shows that they watch, that are a little less to my liking than to theirs. I try to read a book but it's hard to stay focused with the noise in the background. My ipad with earbuds lets me watch something online in total peace. It's only been one day, but I'm pretty happy with my purchase if only for that reason.  There's a bit of a learning curve with the Apple products if you're not used to using them. I have some things figured out from using Lloyd's computer and my phone, but there's still a ways to go. I was dragged  kicking and screaming into the computer age in the 80's and look at me now!  I know I'll never catch up to the grandkids but it's a start!

I had dinner planned on Thursday evening with some girls from Stratford and had hoped that our plans would work out so Brenda could join us. Unfortunately she had a better offer and had to decline (reluctantly, I might add). She had a meeting she had to attend and wasn't guaranteed that we would be home in time. Next time for sure.  One of the other girls wasn't able to make it either so there were just three of us. It's probably been a couple of years since we last saw one another and lots has happened in that time. It was really nice to catch up and we plan to do it again, but we won't wait quite so  long the next time.  We had a nice meal and didn't leave the restaurant until almost 7:00 so Brenda made the right decision. She had thought she might be able to go with us and get home in time but that truly would not have worked.


Yesterday as I checked the news online, I was very quickly taken back to another time in my life when I was
a claims adjuster for an insurance company. Upon checking the current news, I came upon a photo of a 96 vehicle accident on Hwy 400 south of Barrie, Ont.  Miraculously there were no major injuries. I don't envy the insurance adjusters trying to wrap their heads around this one! Been there, done that!

And finally as I was watching TV when  I got home last night, the phone rang. I assumed it would be Brenda so it was quite a surprise to hear Meghan's voice. They were on their way to see Hedley. I'd given them the tickets for Christmas and totally forgot that they were going. Meghan was pretty excited on the phone. Other than Taylor Swift at the Cavendish Beach Festival in 2010 this is her first ever real rock concert. I'm pleased to have been a part of both of those experiences! Patti sent this picture of Meg with a note that the show hadn't started yet and she was already asking for ear plugs. I was thinking that perhaps the rock and roll gene skipped this part of the generation but then I realize it's not their fault - I didn't pass that gene on - I kept it all to myself!   Hope you kids had a great time. Looking forward to hearing all about it.







No comments:

Post a Comment