Friday, May 23, 2014

Friday, May 23rd - Okay, what happened to spring?

This mornings weather: 6' and overcast
Expected later: 7' and a chance of showers

Seriously, what happened to spring? We had a nicer than expected day on Wednesday when it was sunny and mild, and then we're back into much cooler temperatures yesterday and today. It's looking like the weekend will be more of the same. I'm optimistic it will be at least a little warmer next week when the IAAP girls are visiting. Keep your fingers crossed everyone!

Our neighbour, Margie, dropped over last night for a coffee and a chat. She's going to be performing at our conference event next Friday so it was nice to sit down and visit. We ironed out a couple of details and things are shaping up quite nicely.

Our chicken hatching hasn't gone quite as well as we had hoped but we do have 3 new baby chicks downstairs in the brooder. One little one is still in the incubator but I'm doubtful it's going to make it. We also have at least one more egg that has a hole pecked in it but nothing else happened. I suppose that is just Mother Nature's way of taking care of those who wouldn't have otherwise made it. As for the little one that is still in there, I'm getting bits of water into it from time to time but I highly doubt it will survive. Sad to watch but I suppose that's life on the farm. Survival of the fittest at it's most elementary.

Not much else to report this morning. The weekend weather is going to be gray and cool and dampish all weekend and that's a good thing. I have lots of work to do inside the house to get ready for guests, so I won't be tempted to be heading outside to putter out there.  The grass at the front and side of the house is now needing to be cut so perhaps Sunday afternoon I might get to it, and if not, maybe Lloyd will have some free time on Monday morning.



 I lit a fire in the wood stove last night and it's going again this morning. It's just a little too cool and damp to be without on a morning like this. I love the enveloping warmth from the wood stove on a chilly morning. There's something very comforting in that.

No comments:

Post a Comment