Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Wednesday, May 7th - it's still not quite spring

It's a very chilly -3' this morning although the sun is coming up nice and bright. We will hopefully reach a little warmer 8' later. Tomorrow is looking even better but it's still unseasonably cool. I'll bet it's cold out on the ocean in a lobster boat on mornings like this. Hard to believe it's a whole week into the season and we haven't had any lobster as yet. Perhaps we will this weekend as it is Mother's Day, after all.





We had coolish weather on Monday morning but that soon deteriorated as the day wore on. By mid afternoon it was almost blizzard conditions for a while. Not a sight you want to see as you look out the window on the 5th of May. Fortunately it turned to rain later in the afternoon and by 5:00, it had almost stopped, but it was  still quite chilly. The first thing I did when I got home was light a fire and warm up the house.










I still had a bit of sewing to do on the conference scarves and I was able to finish that off in no time. I'm really pleased with how they turned out and hope the rest of the committee agrees with my choices, but I never would have been done so quickly without Brenda's help.  The clever use ( I think) of discarded metal rings and a collection of old buttons with shanks on the back,  makes for a rather unique scarf clip to hold the two ends together while allowing some flexibility of length. On Tuesday evening, Brenda came over and we worked on finalizing a few more little details that can now be taken off the list. We're moving along wonderfully now!



I stopped at the grocery store in town on my way home on Saturday afternoon and picked up a copy of the current Saltscapes, which is almost out of date. I was flipping through it when I got home and spotted an article about ways to fish without a fishing rod. I was drawn to a photo of some people digging clams on the shore and it brought back some wonderful memories of a trip we'd taken the first year of Fall Flavours, out to the shore to dig clams. When they were dug, we headed to a local park where our guide brought out a big pot and we steamed the freshly dug clams in beer. They were some good eats. As I was reliving this happy memory in my mind, I took another look at the photo on the pages of the magazine and realized it as actually Lloyd and I. A local photographer had come out with us and taken a bunch of photos. That had to be at least 7 years ago. What a surprise. It must have been meant to be. I haven't bought that magazine in a very long time and the new issue came out today so it was just by sheer chance that I was able to discover that it was there.Everything happens for a reason!
















No comments:

Post a Comment