Friday, May 2, 2014

Friday, May 2nd - let's hope May's weather is better than April was!

It's a chilly 3' this morning but at least it's stopped raining for now. It should start again this afternoon and reach a high of 9'. There's still pockets of snow hanging around so the rain should finally clean that up.
Not a lot going on right now, although I did make myself a list of things I have to complete before the end of the month for the conference. It looks a little daunting but really they're mostly all small tasks so it should be fine. I'll have a good chance to get lots done next week as Lloyd will be away. I'll have no excuses.

He's heading up to Ontario to see if he can figure out what's going on with his plane. It seems to be having some kind of mechanical issue so he needs to get that fixed. Then hopefully someone will want to buy it. In the meantime, I'm left in charge here. Last night was spent getting last minute instructions on how to manage the live chickens, the unhatched chickens, and the seedlings that seem to have taken over multiple horizontal surfaces throughout the house. Some of the tiny plants have grown enough to be transplanted into larger peat pots so now they take up a bit more space. When he gets back, he'll be busy getting the garden tilled and ready for planting (hopefully the snow will all be gone from it by then).

The branches and pieces of wood have now all been cleared from the front yard and are resting in two huge piles in the back. He had planned to burn them but we just haven't had a calm enough day to do that - not an easy thing to find out here on this windy hill. I was wondering if we can rent a chipper for a day and turn all those branches into mulch. It might not be as pretty as the mulch we get from the nursery but it could work. I'll have to do some investigating into that to see if it would be usable and if so, that could be a better use of all those branches.

Burger love has ended and I don't know what the final tally was but a fellow at work was telling me he had the burger at Mavor's on Wednesday night and was told they had sold in the neighbourhood of 6,000 burgers, and that another restaurant in town had sold 10,000. That's a lot of burgers! This has certainly turned out to be a very popular promotion and likely a very lucrative one as well. The nice thing is it's pretty much all islanders who are supporting it, as it's  too early for many tourists to be around.  Great idea well executed!



I was working on my list last night when I got an email from Meghan(2). Very clever and creative, that one. She used some left over Easter treats to make a Peepmobile (Peeps also come in rabbit shape as well as yellow chicks for those folks who are not familiar with Peeps!)

"I made this with the left over peeps from Easter! I used a peep,a twinky, 4 mashmellows, and a small pretzel.
Love Meghan (2)"

Well done, Meg!

No comments:

Post a Comment