Monday, May 19, 2014

Monday May 19th - Happy Victoria Day

Wow, what a difference it makes having Saturday off. My weekend is so much more productive. Of course being a week away from company coming is also a great motivator. It's cooler this morning and overcast but should be up to 17' later on. Of course, not quite a nice as we had on Saturday when it was a very warm and lovely 22' and very sunny. With a slight breeze blowing it was the perfect day for working outside. I was up early and had laundry done before Lloyd got home from work at 8:30. I had put the new chairs together and he joined me up on the balcony for coffee before he went off to nap for a bit.


 I stayed outside and moved the big piles of branches from the side yard over to the back near the fire pit. We had planned to mulch them all but that's not going to work out so well, so we're just going to burn them - as soon as we have a nice calm day. Now that's going to be some bonfire once it gets going. James will be very disappointed to miss that one. I suspect it will take several days to burn through the pile that's there now, a little at a time.


When Lloyd got up I made us some lunch and we ate outside in the sunshine. BBQ burgers and the great outdoors - does it really get any better? It was such a beautiful day and we've been so long waiting for some nice weather. After lunch I started splitting the logs from the trees, while Lloyd did some badly needed repairs to our eavestroughs.  It was all in all a very productive day. A soak in a nice hot tub at the end of the day was most welcome.

Sunday dawned once again, nice and sunny but just a couple of degrees cooler. I did some tidying up in the craft room and then set about splitting more wood. I split all that I could split. Some of the blocks are just too big for me to lift, let alone put up on the splitter, so those I left for Lloyd to do. Lloyd worked at getting the garden ready for planting as some of the seeds can go in the ground now. It's too early for the inside
plants but some of the seeds can go in. He dug out all the old weeds, and turned everything over. He then added some nutrients that it required as well a some manure and now it's all ready to go. That's high on his list of things to accomplish today. I even got some of the lawn cut yesterday afternoon. The front yard isn't really needing it yet but will by next weekend. The back field  behind the garage has a few areas that always grow very fast and very lush grass. Now it looks so neat and tidy after it's trimming. There were a couple of little trees that didn't make it through the winter so those were cut down as well.

My goal today is to bake some bread this morning and them spend some time on the flower beds, trimming up the edges and just getting them in a little better shape. Later this afternoon and evening, I will need to clear out the totes I took out of storage on Friday morning and are still sitting on the floor of the bedroom. It's that time of year again - pack away the winter clothes and drag out a few summer clothes. I also have a pile of winter coats on the chair in the living room that I took off the hooks in the back porch. They were put there last Thursday morning in anticipation of the new fridge being delivered and that's where they've remained. Of course the pile of boots beside the chair should probably be put somewhere else as well.  Needless to say, I have lots to keep my busy today. Good thing it's a holiday and I have the day off!

It's been a very busy weekend and I even missed going out and doing something fun with Brenda on Sunday afternoon. Once this conference is over,  I'll have my free time to myself again.

1 comment:

  1. Yes Lloyd congratulations on getting the plane off the ground. Thank you also for the great lunch we had together when you were in Guelph. I must have brought you some luck after our discussion of the plane. Tony M

    ReplyDelete