Monday, February 2, 2015

Monday, February 2nd - Happy Ground Hog Day

Conditions at 5:15 am: clear and COLD: -22' that feels more like -32'
Expected later: warming up slightly but not much. Sunshine this morning will change to snow this afternoon and continue on into the night. You know it's not going to be good when you wake up to, not just cold, but an Extreme Cold Warning and a Winter Storm Warning! Happy Monday. Winter took it's time getting here but now it's making up for lost time.



Friday we were told to expect snow overnight but since it wasn't going to start till the wee hours of the morning, Brenda and I took the opportunity to enjoy a bite to eat, followed by a movie after work.  We enjoyed our meal at Daniel Brennan's and then headed over to City Cinema. We were quite early but that was a good thing because by the time the film started, it was a packed house. We thoroughly enjoyed the movie, Elsa and Fred, starring Shirley MacLaine and Christopher Plummer.Fortunately for us the snow held off until after we got home.

Saturday morning was snowy and blowy and Lloyd reported that the roads and driving conditions were very poor when he was coming home from work.  It was going to be a snow day on PEI - and it was. He went off to bed after coffee and I headed out to the craft room. There are a couple of things I want to do but once I got out there, and took a good look around, I made up my mind to get at those things that are only half done and finish those before I start something else. I had taken apart my braided rug, for the second time, and it needed to be stitched back together. I think I got it right this time and since it was meant for Patti's Christmas gift, I'll get it up to her the next time one of us travels that way.  Then I hauled out the squares I'm working on for my t-shirt quilt. Still lots of work to be done there, but first I got out all my spools of thread and sorted those out. But I needed somewhere to keep them organized. So I headed down to the workshop and found a couple of small pieces of wood and some small nails and made a board to put them on, with a separate nail to hold each spoon. It's a temporary fix until Lloyd can build me a proper one with dowels to hang on the wall. But like me, he has other things to finish before he starts anything new. He has a project to work on for work so that has to take priority and he also has a couple of things in the works for me as well.

When I came back in I was a bit hungry and decided I wanted Breakfast Burritos, something we used to get at a little restaurant north of Guelph. They consisted of scrambled eggs inside a flour tortilla with salsa, sour cream and shredded cheddar. Trouble was I had no tortillas. No worries, we made them in community school class a few years ago. So I hauled out the recipe and set to work. Before long I had a dozen  lovely tortillas just waiting to be used. So when Lloyd got up we had brunch while we watched a bit of TV.  After breakfast, I cleaned up the dishes and then headed back out to the
garage. Now that  it's getting so organized downstairs, the whole building is a pleasure to work in.

It was snowing and blowing most of the day so it was a good day to be inside. Supper was an easy meal of homemade noodles with a sauce made with some tomatoes, onions and garlic, some leftover frozen pulled pork and some of our own oven dried tomatoes, with just a dash of smokey BBQ sauce. It was an experiment that worked very well.

Sunday was cold with an even colder wind chill.
Brenda and I had talked perhaps getting out on our skis but I have to admit I wimped out and declined. I spent the morning vacuuming and doing laundry while waiting for raisins to soak. I had received a recipe via email for a pie that Lloyd was keen for me to try. It's a variation on a raisin pie, which is not one of my favorites but definitely one of his. Not really diet food but he'd been good all week (except for Friday night out with the boys!) It's a Raisin and Cranberry pie and it was very good. The tartness of the cranberries is offset very nicely with the sweetness of the raisins. We will certainly be making it again in the future. Lloyd went into town in the afternoon to pick up wood while I continued with my chores in the house. Because we'd had a late breakfast and pie in the afternoon, neither of us was particularly hungry at supper time so we had a snack later in the evening. Lloyd's
finishing up the last Louise Penny book and I continued catching up with a couple of old seasons of a program on Netflix. And that was pretty much it, a nice, quiet and relaxing weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment