Monday, February 9, 2015

Monday, February 9th - another very cold morning - but at least it's not snowing!

Conditions at 5:15: clear and cold and -20' but feeling more like -29
Expected later: sunny and -15' that will still feel like -25'

What a few days! By the time we got dug out on Friday it wasn't worth while going in to work, even though it had turned into a bright sunny day by the afternoon. Poor Lloyd was stuck in town until I called him and told him the plow had gone by so he could get down our road.

He slept in the afternoon and got up just in time to watch James on Facetime playing his bagpipes. I can't believe he's doing so well. The pipe band is searching for a kilt that might fit him but they don't have many kids in the band so most kilts are adult sizes but hopefully someone will find one for him. He'll have to be all decked out for the competition in April.  I think he's looking forward to playing with the other band members. I imagine they march in parades and that sort of thing - he'll enjoy that I'm sure. Because he skates on Tuesdays he's not able to practice with the cadet band so for now is part of the Guelph Pipe Band.

Because I didn't work on Friday, I went in on Saturday morning to catch up a bit with some of Friday's work. It was very quiet at the dealership so I had lots of time to get caught up.  On my way home I stopped and picked up groceries. My friend Christine and her son Colin were coming over for supper on Sunday. We had planned this a couple of weeks ago but postponed because we were expecting a storm that never actually materialized. But yesterdays weather was clear and cold but no new snow so it turned out.

We had a lovely time even though I screwed up the dessert. I planned "Worms and Dirt" as Colin is only six years old. For those uninitiated to this culinary delight, it's simply chocolate pudding with gummy worms pushed into it, sprinkled with oreo cookie crumbs. I thought I'd be smart and make it in the morning. I've never done that before and who knew that gummy worms absorb moisture. By the time we were ready to eat they had swollen to double their size and were quite unpleasant to eat. They now looked like big fat dew worms and the resulting texture was quite off-putting. But we'd all had lots of chicken and mashed potatoes so I don't think we needed it anyway.   I'll stick to basics next time and not try to be too fancy!

In spite of the cold, Brenda planned to get out in the woods either on her skis or snowshoes yesterday. I look forward to a report later at the gym.

The kids were at a speedskating meet in Newmarket this weekend. We tried to Facetime on Saturday but I think the connection in the arena wasn't the greatest so I wasn't able to watch. No reports yet on how they did but I expect I'll get the details later today. There's no emails with pictures of medals this morning so I suspect maybe it wasn't such a successful day.Oh well, as long as they enjoyed themselves.

All in all, not a bad weekend. We'll endure the cold for another few days but it looks like there's no more
snow until Friday. Apparently we've received a total of 150 cms in the past two weeks! We have some snow banks in the back that the kids would love to be all over building snow forts!

No comments:

Post a Comment