Friday, February 6, 2015

Thursday, February 5th to Friday the 6th - it's been a bit of a roller coaster ride...

Conditions at 4:06 pm: snowing and -2 with 15 to 20 cms of snow expected before morning

What a ride it's been. Snow and high winds pretty much shut down the island on Tuesday. Wednesday we arrived in town to massive snowbanks everywhere as crews scurried to cart the stuff away (including the parking lot at work).

The sun came out Wednesday and the afternoon was beautiful. After a few cms of snow overnight on Wednesday, leaving the roads slippery, the schools were all  cancelled again today. My drive into work was a little slow but fortunately, uneventful. I'm not looking forward to the drive home tonight.  We are meant to get more snow overnight and the winds are going to increase and the temperature is going to get VERY COLD, again.

Brenda had a late bus run on Wednesday so wasn't able to make it to fitness class and I've decided to
change my strategy. I don't think I'm getting a whole lot out of the structured classes so I'm going to instead spend my time on the treadmill and the exercise bike. If I build up those muscles, it will be easier (I hope) to transition into walking and bicycling once the early spring gets here and the weather in nice and the days are longer. At least that's my theory.  So I did my first spell on the treadmill last night. It's good because along with all the settings you can choose, it also measures your heart rate through the sensors in the handles so you can see if you are actually working or not. I'll give it my best shot to try to get into some semblance of fitness before spring gets here. Every little bit helps I suppose.
Snowy New Brunswick

While we might be complaining about the amount of snow, we're lucky we're not in New Brunswick. They have huge piles of snow and I saw some pictures online of the sidewalks cut through the snowbanks that were easily 7 or 8 feet high. But it is Canada and it is February. We got off easy the early part of the winter so I guess it's to be expected.

Update: Friday morning- this snowy morning it's -12' but feeling more like -23', quite a drop from yesterday afternoon

The drive home last night wasn't too bad in spite of the fact it snowed most of the afternoon. The wind was just starting to pick up when I was on my way home. It snowed quite a bit more last night and it looks like I might not be going anywhere real soon this morning. Driving conditions and roads are not the best at the moment due to blowing snow not to mention our road and lane are quite filled in. No worries, I'll just text my boss and let her know I'll be there when I can.

The kids have been very busy. Meghan and I were texting on Monday as they had a snow day, (before they sent the storm down here on Tuesday!) She's on the competitive dance team with her dance academy and has decided she needs a better place for practicing. She feels her bedroom doesn't work well as apparently she gets rug burns on her knees and keeps whacking her knees into the furniture. So she decided to look around and scoped out the bar area in the rec room in the basement and determined it could work as a dance studio - with some modifications. On Monday her mom was on her way back from England and her dad was at work, so she was working on a video to present to her family that evening. Not sure yet what the final decision was but apparently "my mom wants me to do it and my dad didn't say no. My dad said I had really good points and he just has to think about it"  Looks like she may have a possible future as a negotiator! 
And this just in this morning - James' teacher wants him to enter his first solo piping competition in Toronto in April. Who knew the young man had progressed so well?  I suggested Patti video tape him practicing for me sometime.

Good to see they are happily pursuing their interests.

No comments:

Post a Comment