Friday, February 27, 2015

Friday, February 27th - we're all glad to see the end of this month

Conditions at 5:30 am: Overcast and -4' that feels slightly more like -23'
Expected later: sunny and -12' 
It's suppose to be a sunny and not so cold weekend, great the the Jack Frost Children's Festival as well as those of us who haven't yet been out on our skis

The final tally is in for my contribution to National Cupcake Day and I'm pleased to report that I raised a total of $321.70.  I've sent the monies off with the names and addresses of those who were more than generous so they will get their tax receipts. But that doesn't mean that the small donors don't count. It's amazing how quickly even small change will add up. I remember years ago the first time  three of us went out on the town on a Saturday night to raise money for our Weekend to End Breast Cancer walk.  We strolled up and down the main street and hit every bar along the way, simply asking for donations of loose change. Within an hour we had collected over $300.00.  Of course the fact that we were using an oversized bra to collect the money in certainly helped.  But it just goes to show how quickly it can add up. So I'm very pleased and I know the local shelter will be as well. Thank you very much to all of you who were so supportive and generous.

We had more snow on Wednesday. As predicted we received around 10 cms and it was enough to just really make a mess of everything - again.  Just when we were starting to be able to get around, we were covered in new snow.  The trip home wasn't too bad except for our road, which hadn't yet been plowed. I got home and partway up the lane, before I got stuck. In previous years, I would just leave it there till morning and simply back out again, but now that Lloyd has to get out later to go to work, he had to go out and get it 'unstuck'.  No problem, when you know what you're doing, and I obviously don't. I keep telling him he's here for more than just his good looks and charm and now he's beginning to believe me.

But with all the snow, we are adapting. The snowbank on the opposite side of the road, is much taller than our mailbox and it's completely buried.. We tried getting the post office to hold our mail for us, but that didn't seem to work well either, as none could be found when we went to pick it up. Then it turned up in our neighbour's mailbox.  Time to get creative. If there's a problem there's got to be a solution. If nothing else, out here we are adaptable. No mailbox, no problem.




I'd like to say this was an original idea but it's not. I pass a number of these makeshift "mailboxes " on my way into town every day. Now we have our own. It's not pretty but it does the job. Good thing the mailman knows who's mail goes in which bucket!
And it works! The mail was in there yesterday.  Who knew??

So the big news on the island yesterday was the announcement that Rod Stewart will be playing in Cavendish in July.  That's a pretty big deal for our little province. I thought about whether or not I would go but I think I'll pass. Lloyd and I  saw him a number of years ago in Sydney, Australia and it was a pretty special time. So I'd like to keep that as my memory of seeing him. 


No comments:

Post a Comment