Monday, February 14, 2011

Back to normal (almost)



Conditions at 5:30 am:-8' and some new snow
Expected later - going up to 0' by this evening and up to 5 cm of new snow

I'm going to try my best to do this but it's a tedious process.
I am back on the island and I must start with a huge thank you to my great friend Brenda. After I dropped her off yesterday from picking me up at the airport, I arrived home to a warm fire burning in the wood stove and a nice clear driveway. She had come by before she went to town and lit the fire, turned up the furnace and ensured my driveway was blown out. I am so grateful to her for that. Stepping into a nice warm kitchen was a very welcoming thing.

Well, we all made it through the week, and we managed to get everyone where they needed to be, most of the time, anyway. I also have to give Lloyd a huge thank you because I couldn't have done it all without a lot of help from him. 

It was great to get together with everyone. I hadn't seen Helen and Peter or Cathy since I left almost two years ago. I can't believe it's been that long already. Time flies when you're having fun!
My wrist is less painful and the swelling has gone down in the hand so the fingers work a little better but it's still a tedious process. 

For those who haven't heard my tale of woe, I was taking Meghan  to her dance class on Wednesday night and there was this ridge of ice along the outer edge of the walkway in front of the building. I went to step up onto the walk and my foot slipped and I went down. I had a book in my right hand and I guess I put the hand out to break the fall and with the book in my hand, it was on an awkward angle. I picked myself up and brushed the snow off of me, and we went inside. I knew something was wrong with the wrist but I figured it was just sprained. I sat inside while Meg had her dance class, then we went home, after a stop at the store to pick up a tensor bandage. When we got  home I put ice on it for a while then wrapped it loosely in the bandage to stabilize it before heading off to bed at 10:00. I woke up at 11:30 in a lot of pain and decided my days were much too busy to function well like this. So I got up and dressed and took myself off to emergency. I was really fortunate. I arrived at midnight, was exrayed at 2:00 am and home by 4:00 - the quickest trip ever to emerg in Guelph, at least for me. Turns out there are two small bones broken but not displaced so that makes it much quicker and easier to heal. It does make life a little more difficult here - just things like bringing in wood, shoveling snow, etc but I'll manage.

Tristen looks very proud of his big brother
James had a provincial speed skating meet this past weekend.  Lloyd was there with him for Saturday morning and I was there for the afternoon. Lloyd was there  for the morning yesterday as well. I got an email from Patti last evening with this photo of James and Tristen with the silver medal he won overall.
Congratulations James!  Well done.

Meghan missed it as she was at a birthday party at Guelph Grotto for one of her school friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment