Wednesday, February 16, 2011

What a ride!


Conditions at 5:30 am: -12' and still VERY windy
Expected later: -9' but no more snow and the winds dying down

I've driven in lots of snow before but nothing like the white out conditions I drove through to get home last night.  From Mount Herbert to past Mermaid, you had no idea where you were driving. I've driven in whiteouts before but usually if you just stopped and waited for a couple of seconds, it eased up enough to see the road. That was NOT the case yesterday. You could just barely  make out the snow banks on the right side so you had to follow those and hope you were a) on the road,  b) not in the middle of the road, c) hope the snow wasn't too deep to drive slowly through and d) pray no one was coming the other way.  Once you got through Mermaid, it was considerably better, although quite slippery. But boy, what a ride! On the plus side, you also felt an extreme sense of pride in your accomplishments for having gotten safely through. 
Caitlin left town not long before me and she made t home safely as well. I called them when I got home to let them know I'd made it. It's very comforting to know that I have someone I can call under these conditions and let them know I'm on my way, and then again when I get home. That way there is a least someone who knows if I don't make it. I don't feel so alone out there.

Now I'm still hearing the wind howling and wondering what conditions will be like this morning.  It should end later this morning, according to the radio - lets hope they're right. It will be interesting to see if the school buses run today.

I'm so glad the ladies are not here and having to drive through that. It would just be too stressful waiting for them to get home.  One more sleep and they will be here. The weather should be nice for the next couple of days so that will be a good thing.

There's a fan appreciation night on Friday with some great local entertainment. Everyone has a ticket but me, as it's part of the package, but I called yesterday and you can still buy them individually as well. I went by the Civic Centre yesterday but it was too early  - the box office doesn't open till 11:00 so I will go back today sometime.

The next two weeks are going to be VERY busy, and I hope the girls have a good time.

Okay, gotta go. I still have a couple of things to do before they get here so I'm using all the time I have. That includes a bit of time in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment