Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Day three


Conditions in Guelph this morning : -13' and overcast (we were supposed to go to -17' so this is a bonus)
Expected later: - 10' and the same
 
On to day three.
We had a great day yesterday. I got the kids up and made their lunches and breakfast and off we went to school. There was a fair bit of new snow so they were really looking forward to going out later and playing in it. I came back home and decided to take a bath, just because I could (and I hadn't showered yet). I started the water filling and went downstairs to make a cup of tea and when I came back upstairs, the dog was sitting in the middle of the tub in the water! Guess I didn't think about how much these dogs love water. SO I closed the bathroom door before getting her out so she wouldn't shake all over the bedroom. By the time I was done my bath and my tea, she was dry enough to let out again.

I went up to Fergus and had a lovely lunch with Helen and Peter.  We went to the old pub which is now called O'Briens and it's really very nice. They've done a nice job with it. Of course, it's not the Copper Kettle, but nothing could ever replace that.

By the time we were done, I got back to Guelph in time to pick up the kids swimming stuff, and go and get them at school.  Tristen was sitting on a chair off to one side, enjoying a time out, and his teacher asked me to come back in a few minutes. Apparently he was being a bit silly, however when I questioned him about why he required a time out, he says he forgot.  I went upstairs and Meghan's class was being held for something but it had to do with plans for their boxed lunch on Monday. So James was able to enjoy a few minutes of outdoor play before we headed over to the pool.

Swimming lessons went well. James did 15 laps of the pool and Meghan's group was learning CPR.  Tristen is not quite there yet but he also did well. He kept looking over at me and I think there may have been a little showing off, for my benefit of course.

When we got home, Papa had supper ready for us. We enjoyed homemade broccoli and cheddar soup, as well as a BBQ chicken (with Swiss Chalet dipping sauce) and oven baked french fries.  Tristen didn't want to try the soup but Lloyd had bought some nice soft dinner rolls and he had three of those with cheese and mayonnaise inside. (He did have some chicken and baked fries as well. )

Our chart for behaviour seemed to be working well yesterday.  We had a lovely dinner, with ever so many please and thanks yous. There was even no argument about doing homework after supper. There was one brief protest that we have all week to do it, but when I pointed out that it would earn 5 extra points, it was a done deal. Our chart is on the fridge and they can earn up to 5 points per day in each of six categories: Manners, Respecting others, Being helpful, Listening and doing what you're told, Eating a healthy meal, and doing Homework. So far it's working like a charm. Fortunately for me, they are all a little competitive so they are eager to be the winner at the end of the week with the most accumulated points. I'll have to come up with some kind of reward, but a first, second and third place will need to be considered.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like everyone is keeping busy and its so nice you are getting to visit with your old friends. We are busy blowing snow down here on PEI. Had a great game Friday Night. the new Guy is pretty good since we won 6-2 and the best part was that the other team had to leave to oick up kids at a high school dance so we didn't have to buy the beer.
    We had a nice supper at Marlene and Raymonds Saturday night where we were suppose to make plans for Florida. but we started two late after too much rum. The two other wives had lots of questions that we knew there wasn't any sense asking the guys by then because we wouldn't have gotten a straight answer. But when Annette said she would like to know where the guys would be the night before they got to Kissamee all I could do was laugh. Boy she dosen't know how Raymond and Bernie travel.
    Since church was cancelled because of the storm I spent the morning sorting pictures and getting thing out of the brochures for the scrapbook so now I am ready for uou to help me pick out colours etc.
    I drove the bus the last 2 days and will be driving the rest of the week. It was stormiong again today. I had a good run considering 1 bus lost its air, had to call tow trucks because they were stuck , 1 had a flat inside tire and one needed to be met with the service truck because her arm wouldn't close. Compared to that I had a good day. Taking tonight off and watch The Good Wife.
    Hope your week continues to go well. Say hi to Loyd and the kids for me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not: to above post 4 buses got stuck

    ReplyDelete