Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Waiting on the storm


Conditions at 5:00 am: overcast with a few flakes coming down and -12'
Expected later: maybe 15 to 20 cm of snow starting this evening and warming up to -6' by tonight

Last week our storm didn't live up to expectations - lets hope this one doesn't either.  It seems lately that the build up has been much more impressive than the actual event. But even if it does come, it should be all cleared up by Friday so no worries for traveling.

Last night Sheila and Brenda both came over and Sheila had a look at my loom. She thinks as I do, that I have everything that I need except for some new cords. She also suggested a new reed, as the one I have is quite fine and a more widely spaced one will be more useful.  I have a list to take with me when I go of basics I need to get, as well as what to ask for in wool. It's not like knitting yarn that you purchase by the ounce. You have to know the length of your pieces, and how many you will need to determine how many yards of  yarn  you need and the cones are sold with the length labeled on them. I'm sure it will all make sense once I read the book she loaned me. It's quite old, dating back to 1957, but as she says, weaving hasn't changed. We also determined that my loom is quite old by the style of braking system on it.  We just may be able to make this thing work yet!

Sheila will be away in Halifax for a bit as she's volunteering at the Canada Winter Games in Halifax. It seems that her children all speed skated when they were younger and at least one of them still does. Even though she has no children left at home, she is still interested and helps out.  One of the highlights for them was a trip to the Yukon to compete. So look out Dennison family, it appears the travel has only just begun! I told her about James and Meghan skating and she asked what club they skated with. When I told her Cambridge, she said that was a very good club.

Last night I was reminded once again why I love it here. The people are kind. That's it, just a kindness that is missing in the bigger cities.  I stopped at the Irving on my way home to pick up a half pint of milk. I didn't want to buy a whole litre as I'm trying to empty the fridge before I go away. They had small containers of cream, half and half and chocolate milk, but no white milk. I asked the lady at the counter if they had any and she said no and I told her I needed some just for tea. SO she went over to the coffee area and filled a paper cup with milk and put a lid on it. She asked if that was enough. I assured her it was more than enough, it was probably a little more than a half pint. But she wouldn't charge me for it. I fully expected to pay for a container of milk but she wouldn't hear of it. It was a really nice thing for her to do. It was just one more reminder of why I love it here. And I think it makes you a better person. If people are so kind to you, you can't help but pass that on. Something our society seems to have forgotten in a lot of places.

Brenda is starting to really look forward to their trip to Florida. She has a cousin there who lives in Palm Beach and they plan to visit. It's the same cousin who has an Inn in Nantucket.  I hope to meet her one day!  She also has an aunt there so that will make it much more interesting than doing the Disney thing. I hope they have great weather while they are there. It should be a lot of fun. If they're not careful, this could turn into one MAJOR party!!

Well, I'd best go and get ready. Tonight is scrapbooking night at the Van Gaals and I still need to pack. I was hoping to fit a haircut in there somewhere but we'll see. I'll call Charmaine and see if tomorrow night is at all possible. It's going to work out for my car as well. Brenda is driving a bus on Friday so I'll pick her up early in the morning, we'll drop the dog off on the way into town, and get here there in lots of time to warm up the bus. If we're lucky there might even be time for a coffee but we'll play that one by ear. Then she will pick up my car after she's done, and in a perfect world she'll be back before 4:00 and I can pick her up and she can take me to the airport on her way home. But we're flexible with that part.

PS - Big news last night - Meghan(1) has a shiny new refrigerator!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sandy!

    YES, I have new fridge, very excited about it!! Hope you have a great vacation next week. I'm looking forward to seeing this loom in action the next time I'm home.
    -Meghan

    ReplyDelete